pre for Pass xa60.5

Hi all

just got my Pass xa60.5 and i'm looking for a pre upgrade. Currently I drive them with Lector zoe tube pre (which mates my Lector cdp-7). I usually lean towards tube preamps although I'm not fixed on tube.Budget is around $2500 for a preowned unit.

mu current short list is:

First sound presence
Aesthetix calypso
joule electra la-150
or maybe older Pass models on SS.

I have very limited audition options and i usually buy based on reviews and Agon members' opinions - so every opinion counts.

Thanks in advance for each replier.
icorem
I would recommend placing the requirement of fully differential balanced circuitry at the top of your preamp feature list. Balanced pays dividends with these amps.
BTW...I would suggest that spending the $800 that you plan to spend on power cords for your XA-60.5 amps would be probably better spent by increasing your preamp budget to $3300.

FWIW...
I strongly suggest you audition a used Pass XP10. I have the XA160.5 and XP20 and it is a superb combination. I agree with Tvad about going balanced with this amp. Also, forget a fancy power cord for this amp and put the $$ toward a better preamp. Auditioning is key. The XP preamps are considerably better than the Aleph P and X-1 that I had. Mark at RENO HIFI or your local Pass dealer should lend you one of the new XP's for trial.
Good, but not so expensive power cords that work well are the VH Audio Flav 4s, $400 for you monoblocks. Though I do think the preamp will make a much more important difference the the PCs.