Why Not More Conversation about VAC?

As I browse Audiogon's posts...I'm constantly amazed at the lack of attention, questions, remarks about VAC, (Valve Amplification Company).
First and foremost, I'm thinking that most if not all of us are music lovers--and I'm not aware, subjectively, of course, of more, just out and out, musical sounding electronics. And, I don't mean that in a perjorative, 'colored' sense...I mean that in the most flattering sense.
The lack of comments may mean nothing, but it just strikes me as 'absent' from good discussions.
Second, and beyond the stellar sound, if you want great gear, and a great person to buy it from, who better in terms of accommodation, knowledge and service than Kevin Hayes. Like the Bobster (Palkovic) his reputation for building first rate stuff and then backing it to the hilt is unsurpassed.

Kevin is also a great guy AND music lover of the first order...a friend too, but I'm not shilling here, just seriously wondering why VAC isn't further up the discussion ladder.

Kinda like reading Motor Trend Magazine, in which they 'Test Drive' a Mustang in EVERY ISSUE!!!

Just wondering.

Larry
lrsky
"I've yet to hear a piece of Chinese (Designed, not necessarily manufactured) Tube gear that sounds like VAC--and it's not hand wired, point to point as is the VAC--overall hand made like the VAC. (I can be corrected here if someone knows of such)."

I don't know if there is or is not, but I have to wonder?

VAC is a no holds barred high cost/high quality line.

Think Mercedes or Lexus.

However, I drive a Toyota Avalon rather than a Lexus in that I am not into overt luxury and I see little difference in actual functional quality and a lot of difference in value and total cost of ownership over time.

Maybe there are others that can match teh sound quality taking a more budget oriented approach? It would surprise me if that were not the case, but I am not educated enough in this area to know if such an amp actually exists or not.

Hi Dearing,

I started to reply but then deleated my post and scalled it down dramatically. This isn't a CAT amp vs VAC thread so if you would like to know more PM me and I'll reply but that being said I did notice a thread you replied to in relation to CAT amps on 10-09-06 and I agree you were spot on when you said.

10-09-06: Dearing

they are extremely finnicky because of their hot-rod design. They require constant monitoring of bias settings and blow tubes easily, which requires new resistors to be soldered in. Don't buy one unless you know how to use a solder iron, have a lot of patience and have a lot of money for new output tubes.

Dearing, you are so correct and then some, once I got most of the on going issues sorted out the CAT's in the end just could not properly fill my room with sound while paired up with my MBL's.

Now if anyone reading this is thinking of comparing these CAT's to these VAC 450's all I can say is good luck and that will be just too funny because in the end there just isn't anything to compare periode.

Good luck and enjoy!

A tube amp that can drive mbl well?

That may be a first and is truly something!

Hi Mapman, not only drives them well but drives them effortlessly.

What I heard was a absolutely amazing jaw dropping experience no mater what music was played, and or at what volume.

All I can say is to any and all MBL 101E owners you have never heard your speakers full potential until you hear them paired up with these amps, if you truely want to hear the full capibilities and get off the mer-i-go round, you owe it to your self and you for sure are in for a real treat.
Dev: Very interesting. I'd very much like to hear the 450.

Mr. Hayes: If you are following this thread, please consider toning down the ad copy in your description of the 450 on your site - way too heavy and not credible.