Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Linkster

I would suggest that you get either a Grange, Cortese or Syrah rather than a line stage only Supratek pre. The incremental cost of getting a model with the phono stage included is very little compared to the value (many believe the phono stage to be one of the best phono stages available) you get. Having both stages should greatly help your resale / demand (not that you will want to sell it anytime soon). You will also be more than set if you get into vinyl someday.

I have a Cortese that is about a year old and I have not heard the Grange nor I have I heard any of Mick's new iterations that started coming out late last year.

I think that either Steve 1960 or Mick can give you and informed / honest opinion as to how much the newer models have improved the various aspects.

I would also like to hear from anyone that might have heard either the new Cortese or Grange releases and how they stack up against the older models.

It would also be great to hear how much of an improvement that the Grange is over the Cortese on both the line and phono sections.
Eccletique,

Any updates on the new NOS tubes used as regulators, which you believed will "hold it own with the esteemed WE 350b"

TJ
I now have a Cortese to A/B verses the Syrah. I am also lucky enough to have a CJ Premier 16LS MKII , on loan, to go head to head against the " highly praised" Supratek models.

Thus far I wish the Syrah had more body, foundation and overall weight to the music. The CJ beats the Syrah in these areas, but is not as transparent. The CJ throws a larger stage also. I am only listening to CD's thus far. I will test the Cortese and update all on my progress. The Syrah was built in mid 2001 and I am not sure of the age of the Costese. Inside I noticed it was tweeked by "someone" with vibration deadening sheets.Serial number is RL136.
I understand much of the outcome will be based on system and room matching.

Grannyring
Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of upgrading the tubes on the Sauvignon (Line Stage Cortese) and need some advice. I'm currently running the standard stock tubes at the moment.

If my main objective is to 'Tighten the Bass' and 'Increase the detail'. Any magic combination you would recommend ?

I've just acquired the Mullard GZ34 to be used as the rectifier as a start, and will place the tube into service once it arrives.

I've heard on this news group that using the Ken Rad's will result in Bass which is Not so tight in comparison to the Sylvania VT-231.

Any Thoughts.
Clipsal.
Clipsal, the Sylvania VT-231 and Sylvania 6SN7GT tall-boy (green letterring and VT-231 construction) are probably the best choices for your tastes. I would get one pair of each and decide for yourself which you prefer. Roll the regulators while you are at it.