help me to understand the gain

I have a problem that the gain is too high. I can only turn the volume knob to 7 o'clock position, with the 0 at 6 o'clock. I am sort of ok when using my computer where I can lower the volume in iTunes. But from my CD player, I cannot.
I am using Maverick Audio DAC, PrimaLuna Progloue 3, McCormack DNA-1, and B&W CDM9NT.

CDM9NT - 90db sensitivity
PrimaLuna - gain 12db(4x), input impedance - 100k Ohm, output impedance - 2800 Ohm
McCormack - input impedance - 100k Ohm, 150Wpc RMS into 8 ohms (21.8dBW)

is that my equipments are out of synergy? I just bought a pair of Zu which is 101db sensitivity, does that mean it will be a even bigger problem? should I buy another preamp with less gain, or should I buy another amp with less power output?
gte357s
Sorry to ssay:
You are screwed.
I have somewhat the same problem. Too much gain.
And my speakers are only 84dB.
With the Zu, your going to be in gain Hell. Either you need some major attenuation. Or ??
You might be able to get a custom attenuator for your preamp. One that allows you some knob turning.
Sorry for the bad times ahead if you do not solve this issue. 101dB sensitivity... Jeez.
Just an idea. Get a really low output phono cartridge, (and turntable etc. And a Moving magnet only phono box. With the really nearly unacceptably low output, it will balance out your too much gain in the rest of the system. Just have to get Lps then.
Less power output won't solve your issue - gain is separate from power. According to Stereophile, the DNA-1 has a gain of 32dB! That's really high, and a big part of your problem. I would investigate either a passive preamp or, if you like the Primaluna, talk to Steve McCormack (http://smcaudio.com/) and see if he can cut down the gain on your DNA-1.

The problem will definitely get worse with the Zus. I own Druids, and had to take some gain out of my power amp to make the system work.

David