Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
If you order the Cortese and find out you don't like it chances are you'll be able to sell it for nearly what you paid if past sales on this site are any indication. In the meantime, buy a used First Sound. There's one available now. You'll probably keep it.
Artar1 - I have an older model Cortese linestage with only 12db gain. Current models have 27db gain. I can't comment on the phono stage but judging from the linestage I don't think there is the any romanticism in the Supratek Preamps. They tend to be about as transparent as you would expect with a passive linestage. FWIW, I also have what is perhaps the most transparent of all passive-preamps, EVS nude-attentuators. Maybe that qualifies as "ruthlessly revealing", I'll let you decide.

Painting with a broad brush in this comparison, I would say the Supratek preamps are the antithesis to the CJ and Hovland house-sound and more in-line with the First Sound products.

Jazzdude,

Thank you, thank you, and thank you. I get it.

I like a more golden, relaxed sound, which others might find cloying, uninvolving, veiled, or syrupy.

I have very keen hearing and have a very difficult time tolerating high-pitched, overly defined, etched, clinical, bright, or overly dynamic sound of any kind. If you can believe it, Rock music has never appealed to me, especially Acid Rock, Heavy Metal, or dynamic electric guitar solos because of what I hear as excessive upper midrange energy.

Thanks again for creating an effective frame of reference for me to understand the sound of the Cortese.

Cheers
Artar1 - just for clarification purposes. I would not consider the Cortese "high-pitched, overly defined, etched, clinical, bright, or overly dynamic". It is certainly not etched or cinical. However it also certainly does not have that "golden" sound you are looking for.
Artar: The Cortese sounds 'beautiful' for want of a better word. It *will* sound romantic if the nature of the recording demands it, and ruthlessly revealing if there is lots of information on the disc.

Midrange purity and correctness is a particular strength of the Cortese. You have to understand that Mick used a pair of stacked Quad ESL-57 electrostaic loudspeakers for a number of years before going to Edgar Horns and now Goodmans Axioms, so you have a person/designer who really appreciates nice midrange and strong dynamics from his speakers (there is no better midrange than that found in the Quad ESL).

The Cortese is 'alive' sounding with excellent 3 Dimensional and spacial presentation - on superb recordings the soundstage is brought right into your living room! I use upsampling 24 bit 96/192 kHz DACs and the full effect of these wonderful DA converters is realised with this preamp.

Regards

Steve M.