Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand

Jazzdude and Tubegroover,

It's been several days since anyone has posted to this thread; the silence is a bit eerie for some unexplained reason. Perhaps the comradery and enthusiasm I have read thus far has given me an expectation that it will continue indefinitely.

I have now finished reading some 254 posts belonging to this thread. I must say I am learning a great deal, not only about Supratek preamps, but about audio in general. Moreover, I am learning about the manner in which very experienced listeners and audiophiles approach the subject of reproduced sound in the home. It's almost as if this thread is like a graduate-level course in audioharmonics -- the pursuit of absolute sonic beauty without resorting to paying tens of thousands to get it.

I am still attempting to get a "handle" on the sound of the Supratek preamp line. In addition to my previous remarks, and having the benefit of reading the comments in this thread and elsewhere, I would also like to add a few more descriptive terms, if I might, albeit from a purely theoretical level, for I have not heard the Supratek nor will I have an opportunity before I buy the Cortese.

I feel what may further differentiate the Supratek line of preamps from the First Sound Presence Deluxe, a fine preamp in its own right and worthy of the Reviewer's Choice Award bestowed upon it by Todd Warnke of SoundStage!, is soul and harmonic layering. The First Sound strikes me as being a little more stark in its portrayal of music with slightly less harmonic stratification and nuance than the Supratek. It seems as if the aim of the First Sound is to provide life-like purity, power, dynamism, and clarity while retaining much of its passive gain-stage heritage. The Supratek does not strive for passivity, the straight-wire-with-gain philosophy. Rather it conveys clarity and detail but never at the expense of subtle richness, musical rightness, and harmonic soul. Thus, the Supratek might be heard as being the more musical of the two without the burden of euphonic sweetening that is often attributed to Conrad-Johnson gear. The Supratek speaks of a sparkling purity with a trace of inherent beauty without the slight "clinicalness" produced by the First Sound. The Supratek communicates with a slightly more enveloping and suave nature while embodying the soul of its designer. In contrast the First Sound impresses the listener with solidity and an unvarnished view of reality, albeit slightly thermionic. The Supratek is no less accomplished in presenting musical truth, but does so with greater sophistication and less austerity.

I don't want to make too much of these perceived differences. Like I said I have not heard the Supratek, which may invalidate my point of view. Because I am left with no review sample to audition, I draw my conclusions based upon vicarious experiences. I hope that my careful reading and intuition have served me well in this regard.

In my next posting I will be asking about where one can buy replacement tubes for the Cortese and about what NOS tubes are preferred, and why.

Cheers
Artar1 - "The Supratek is no less accomplished in presenting musical truth, but does so with greater sophistication and less austerity."

Probably a very astute conclusion. Especially considering you haven't had the benefit of an audition. Tube-rolling will allow you to tweak the sound more to your liking. There are 4 tube types to roll in the Supratek linestages. Only one in the First Sound, the 6922 I believe. The First Sounds 0A2 regulator cannot be rolled, or so I have been told.

Waltersalas has the Supratek Syrah and had the First Sound PD for a while also. I think he was able to do some side-by-side listening comparisons. You might contact him for more info.
For those Supratek fans, Mick's Burgandies have arrived and after some modifications (at his dierctions) they are staggering in their transparency, bandwidth, inner (micro) relosution, and power (in the sense of conveying the "authority" of the music). I'd been waiting for these mono-blocks for more than 4 months (we've all been there with Supratek). They are simply gorgeous! Mick's beautiful wood chasises with matt black finished top plates and transformer housings. I am driving them unbalanced from my latest version of the Cortese. By the way, if you don't have the version with the 12B4A's in the output stage, send your unit back to Mick and have it modified. Incredible improvement in low end performance,in extention, dynamics, and texture, without scarificing any of the other atrtributes we've come to love. I believe he is charging $500 for the upgrade.
To Ecclectique!!!!

Can the 6V6 (Kenrad VT-107 I think with metal body) be a replacement of the 6L6/5881 tubes?

Thanks!

Abe
Well this is rich. Now Audiogoners are giving reviews talking about the subtle differences in sound between preamps they have never heard because of "vicarious experiences" they have had as a result of reading this thread!!!