Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Well this is rich. Now Audiogoners are giving reviews talking about the subtle differences in sound between preamps they have never heard because of "vicarious experiences" they have had as a result of reading this thread!!!
Hello Abe. The 6v6 is a beam tetrode similiar to the 6F6 and will work as regulators in the supratek syrah, however, I doubt it will sound better than a 6l6, my experience with any of the metal tube types has always been a disappointment. The early 6L6's and 6F6's were metal tubes as well.Give them a try and see what you think.

Tube rolling results:
First off, thanks ever so much to Ecclectique, Bwhite, Asa, and Jazzdude for all your help and advice in recommending NOS tubes for my Cortese.
The results of the NOS tubes have been nothing short of stunning with regards to the enhancement of the bass control, sound staging (expansion of and delineation), detail without giving up warmth / emotion, more life like sounding instruments, and much more musicality. I loved the Cortese with the stock tubes and now with the NOS in place and broken in, the listening has become an overwhelming and tireless experience.

I rolled the following tubes into the line stage section of my Cortese:

Nos Neotron 6SN7's
Nos Mullard EL 37's
NOS 5AR4 Philips Miniwatt Holland Metal Base NOS 1957 Tubes

They were all quite expensive, but in the end well, well, worth every penny.
I just ordered a pair of NOS Tungsol 6SN7 Black Glass round plates and will let you all know how they stack up against the Neotron 6SN7's after they arrive and are broken in.

It took a good solid 200 hours of continuous running time for the NOS tubes to fully break in before they really showed what they could add to the sound (EL 37's took a particularly long time).

For those of you rolling NOS, give them a bunch of hours before evaluating. The improvement from break in is huge. The value for the extra money invested in NOS is clearly available.