stupid tube question of the day

Hi all.

Do tubes get consumed at the same rate when the system is on but not playing music, or does playing music cause faster consumption of the tube.

My guess is that for tube amps, definitely faster when playing music. But what about CD players with tubes in them or preamps?

Thanks.

--dan
dgaylin
Generally, tubes do indeed get consumed just being turned on. There MAY be a tiny difference in consumption between classes of operation.

I do NOT leave my tubed equipment turned on. If one does, three- to four-thousand hours of goodness get used in half a year.
i run my tube amps 4 hours max. if i want to keep going, i turn them off for 30 minutes then back on.
Tubes are slowly wearing themselves out as soon as their powered up. The circuit design has a big influence on tube longevity and NOS tubes aren't getting any cheaper. No sense in taking a chance on leaving tube gear powered up other than an hour prior to a listening session & then should be turned off when your done.

When powered up, I would think that when tubes are driven by an audio signal as opposed to no signal at all would in fact reduce their life span, especially in tube amps. I have had very old tube gear that still works with their original tubes. Maybe low usage could of contributed to this or again it goes back to how the tube circuit is designed or maybe both.

Samhar, i have very nice (and expensive) nos Mullards and want to maximize their life. I was told by the canadian dealer whose name escapes me to do just that. he seemed to know what he was talking about and i am happy not to take any risks with this lovely stuff. :)