Mccormack DNA-1 describe the sound characteristics

I own a DNA-1 (unmodified), TAD 150 signature, and Jolida 100 cd. I am using Morrow interconnects (MA2 & MA1) and the sound is fatiguing it is bright with little mid and low end. The sound is flat.

I tried rolling tubes in the TAD using the stock chinese, Mazda and Sylvania 12AT7, but the sound doesn't seem to change that much.

I am thinking the amp is the problem......??? Your help is needed in my delemia...

Do I invest 600 - 1K on moding the amp by Steve to improve the mids and low end?? Or do I just swtich gears to purchase a different amp with the sound qualities i desire???
dvdgreco
I would not expect that particular combo of gear to necessarily sound as described, but with room acoustics and other factors, anything is possible.

Could poor synergy integrating system into the room and to your listening position be part of the problem?

It's usually impossible to get a system tuned in optimally without taking this into account, no matter how "good" the components are or might work together.

Have you tried toeing the speakers in or out for example to avoid direct tweeter exposure at the listening position and hear the differences?

Also tweeter height relative to ears usually matters. Does it sound better/worse/different if you listen sitting on the floor versus in a higher chair, for example?

Are speakers positioned in a way that lends itself to optimal bass performance?

Just some things to consider that are common culprits in cases like you describe.

Its always possible that something is not functioning to spec as well but short of exhibiting any blatant issues. Swapping alternate/spare components in and out may be the only way to isolate a problem to a specific piece in many cases.
What Mapman states above I find is very true.

"Also tweeter height relative to ears usually matters. Does it sound better/worse/different if you listen sitting on the floor versus in a higher chair, for example?

Are speakers positioned in a way that lends itself to optimal bass performance?"

I learned this the hard way. I had a McCormack TLC-1 stock and Deluxe as well as a McCormack DNA-1 stock and Deluxe at different times in my main system. I did have issues with glare on certain tracks. I found it was due to multiple issues. I had raised my speakers to high off of the ground. I wanted my KEFs tweeter to be right at my ear height. I found when I stood up the music was a bit better sounding. I then lowered them to their proper height. I had them toed in too much and then I found the cables I was using at the time Zu WAX were really harsh treble wise. I got lots of detail but it got to the point where things would hurt. I changed them out as well and I got another improvement as well.

Mr. McCormack's assessment of the DNA-1 is true to my ears. I think the sound stage is wide and vast as well. I never had any bass issues with either kind of DNA-1 I had.

As for the SMc Audio upgrades. I haven't had them done but when I've spoken to Mr. McCormack or Mr. Kris Jeter at SMc about what options to pursue both have been very professional, courteous and a genuine in their advice. They really want you to get the most out of your money spent. I didn't get any kind of salesman BS from talking to them.
When I was considering having my old DNA .5 modded many, many years ago the most common reply to my inquery as to benefits was "Just Do It! You'll see".

How right they were. So "Just do It" (or find one already done on the used market and make a significant trade up.
I beginning to think my problem is the cumlative effect of an amp that is slightly forward in presentation as well as having exceptional detailed highs combined with speakers which also lend themselves to being more forward, adding to the mix a TAD 150 pre-amp with NOS Mazda tubes which are known to be detailed on the top end..... Electronically nothing is wrong,, just the wrong combination....

So what to do, I am thinking of exchanging the Mazda tubes for Mullards and see what happens. I am also looking forward to a SMC upgrade