Where to use Isolation devices

Do isolation devices work on all components? I have a cd player, tube amp(Herbie's tube dampeners on all tubes) and preamp. All components are on a dedicated stand with at least some reasonable dampening. I have the cd player under some myrtle wood blocks, and nothing under the amp and preamp...I was thinking maybe something like the Black Diamond Racing cones I have heard so much about, or something similar.
Thanks
sean34
John

You now need to ground/terminate the 30 lb. slab it has an even greater reserve to fill of unwanted resonance. It can sound even better yet. The whole process should be to direct the energy to ground/the mass of your floor. These pathways to ground should be reactive in material and geometry. Vibration can be given direction. What turntable are you using? Tom

07-29-11: Theaudiotweak
John

You now need to ground/terminate the 30 lb. slab it has an even greater reserve to fill of unwanted resonance. It can sound even better yet. ...
I'm currently using the butcher block as an isolation platform. My turntable is a Technics SL1210 M5G. I replaced the stock feet with M6 threaded brass cones which have detachable points. When the points are removed the bottom of the cone presents a concave surface. I place the cone's concave surface on the steel ball of the Vibrapod Cone, which then rests on a Vibrapod Isolator. This assembly then rests on the 15"x20"x3.5" rock maple end grain butcher block, which is isolated from below by a pair of 3"x20" silicone gel wristpads designed for computer keyboards. This assembly rests on the top shelf of my rather budget but rigid equipment rack. I isolated the butcher block from below as well because the turntable's pickup could send finger taps on the shelf out to the speakers. This is much reduced now.

You can see the whole assembly here.
You could experiment with something different under your maple platform, I mean cones or perhaps Mapleshade isoblocks. I certainly would.

07-31-11: Inna
You could experiment with something different under your maple platform, I mean cones or perhaps Mapleshade isoblocks. I certainly would.
Well, I do have a drawer full of Vibrapod Isolators I could try in lieu of the silicone gel pads. Looking at those two options from an isolation standpoint, the gel pads look like they have far more damping mass to absorb vibrations, though.

I first picked up the gel pad tip from a DJ who used them under his Technics SL1200s in dance clubs. He said it made a huge difference in how far he could turn up the volume (and bass) without getting feedback. They're very effective at that.
This cannot be answered definitively. Sometimes the Cardas blox or Racing Cones may be better than the other, but sometimes not. Each will change the sound somewhat, and you must determine which you like better. I had the Cardas blox under my preamp, I switched power cords, and they didn't work well for that configurtion. I got my preamp updated and the Cardas blox went back into their position under the preamp again. There are many of these kinds of devices..each has their place..could be in a drawer. You must listen and decide for yourself.