Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Larry,

Do you know what tubes Mick is using in your phono stage? If he uses an oddball tube like the 6c45pi, you are going to be very limited as to what you can use. And to top it all of, the damn things are expensive! Well over $100 for a quad. As soon as I find a decent quad, I'll get them broken in and let you know how they sound. Look here, and you'll see what I mean about tubes:

NOS/NIB* 1958 Western Electric JW-5842/417A tubes/tube

For now, the NOS Russian's are actually sounding quite nice. For something using such a high mu triode in the phono stage, the noise floor is incredibly low. It has brought out the details I could not hear before. Things like .2 g off on VTF, incorrect speaker placement and cable choices all have an audible effect now.

Ah, the saga continues....
Joe,
I have the Cortese and my phono stage arrived with two 6C45N-E ( Russian - Electroharmonix) & two 6922 (JAN Sylvania's made in USA). Keep in mind that I bought my unit used from a first owner and I am not sure if these are the tubes that Mick originally included with the Unit.
I am still waiting for my TT so I have no clue how these current tubes will sound.
I would love to hear ideas with anyone's latest and best suggestions for the 4 tubes on the phono side.
Thanks - Larry
Larry,

Oops, I forgot, TT on the way, Supratek in hand. I know there are a ton of choices for the 6922, but that Russian stuff is hard to figure. Not being a tube expert, I think that the 6c45n-e is a hi mu triode like the pi-e in mine. I actually think it is the same tube, because the n actually represents pi, in cyrillic. Look here:

TDSL Cyrillic characters

That is my favorite tube data site. It will let you know what is an exact match and what is close, and a ton of other data.

I know that I use Amperex Bugle Boy 6dj8's for 6922 in the AN and in my CD player. I seems to work well for me. But you have a lot of choices, and a lot of them are not too ridiculously priced. Look at the 6922 thread here.

Joe
Joe,
The letter on the tube that I assumed to be an N is as you have suggested, a Cyrillic P (Russian). I will start digging on through your tube website suggestion and elsewhere.
I am guessing that you will run out ahead of me with tube trials since you are already up and running with your Syrah and Teres TT and so I will look forward to your comments on your trials and tribulations.
I am guessing that there are several other Supratek owners that will benefit from your phono stage tube trails.
Thanks, Larry
Amandarae,.. 2-3 Weeks...Shiteza...Micks been busy with other projects,anyway,Keep a eye on his web site...