Is It Safe To Connect Speakers To Two Amps??

i've got a combined HT and 2-Channel rig whereby my mains and subs function in both. i'm currently using the traditional connection scheme whereby the HT processor sends signals to the mains via the pre outs to my preamp (in bypass mode) then on to my main power amps, then on to the speakers.

if i wanted to bypass my preamp and main power amps althogther (it's a shame to burn tube hours on movies), is it safe to simply connect my main speakers to the HT processor via speaker level connections if they are also connected to my main power amps concurrently? only one amp - HT processor OR main amps - would be running at a time.

any inputs would be greatly appreciated.
128x128srosenberg
Then switch it over with a good switch that doesn't use resistors while playing.
Let me clarify. I don't mean change the switch over with music playing, just no unneeded resistors a switch might put in the signal path. Definitely the amps should be off to change over. Sorry.
Hifihvn raises an important point about tube amps. They should indeed never be operated without a speaker load, or a reasonably equivalent high power resistor as a load. I too have my doubts that 150 ohms is low enough to be suitable in all cases. And a substantially lower value would, with most amps, mean that the power rating of the resistor would have to increase significantly.

The reason a load is needed is that with no load, abrupt changes in the amount of current that is fed into the primary of the output transformer can produce extremely large voltage spikes, due to a phenomenon called "inductive kickback." The result can be a ruined transformer or output tubes.

The concern is most significant if music is playing through the amp. However, I would not rule out the possibility that even with no signal present, turn-on or turn-off transients might cause a similar effect, perhaps cumulatively over time if not immediately.

Regards,
-- Al
The tube amp would not be on if the other amp is on. The switch can be set for the speakers to go to the tube amp when it is turned on and when turned off to switch to the other amp. There is a delay to allow the amps to shut down completely.
Hi everyone

I just wanted to add to this thread should anyone stumble upon it like I did. I was searching for an amplifier selector as I have 1 solid state amplifier and 1 tube amplifier that I would like to use with only 1 pair of speakers. (I am too lazy to remove and hook-up an amp periodically. I wanted both in place and the ability to switch between them.) From searching I thought the Niles Audio SAS-1 (Automated Switching System) was a viable solution.

http://nilesaudio.com/images/PDF/SAS-1_Cutsheet.pdf

I found this thread and saw the discussion about the potential issues with using this type of switcher with a tube amp. I contacted Niles Audio for their input as well and here is what they said:

“The same note from the speaker selectors applies to the SAS-1 in regards to tube amplifiers. Most Tube amplifiers need load connected at all times. I suggest that you connect a 150 ohm, 5 watt resistor across each channel of the tube amplifier’s output in parallel with the SAS-1.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Dale/RS005150R0FE12/?qs=%252b%2f1MMOhkBTd%2fEWU%2foAKqvL1By91sq69mWgcS8fbJ204%3d

Have a nice day.”

Niles Audio were quick to respond as well.

Thanks