Amp more important than speakers?

The common wisdom seems to be the opposite (at least from speaker makers), but I have tried the many speakers that have come thru my house on lesser amps or my midfi A/V receiver and something was always very wrong, and things often sounded worse than cheap speakers.
On the other hand, I have tried many humble speakers on my my really good amps (& source) and heard really fine results.

Recently I tried my Harbeth SHL5s (& previously my Aerial 10Ts, Piega P10s, and others) on the receiver or even my Onkyo A9555 (which is nice with my 1985 Ohm Walsh 4s, which I consider mid-fi), and the 3 high end speakers sounded boomy, bland, opaque.

But when I tried even really cheap speakers on my main setup (Edge NL12.1 w/tube preamp) I got very nice results
(old Celestion SL6s, little Jensen midfi speakers).

So I don't think it's a waste of resources to get great amplification and sources even for more humble speakers.
My Harbeth SHL5s *really* benefit from amps & sources that are far more expensive than the Harbeths.

Once I had Aerial 10Ts that sounded like new speakers with vocals to die for when I drove them with a Pass X350 to replace an Aragon 8008.

Oh well, thanks for reading my rambling thoughts here...

So I think I would avoid pairing good speakers with lesser amps,
rgs92
From my own experience I would rather own a 2000.00 pair of speakers with a 10k amp then the other way around. I am currently running a front-end setup including TT, phone-pre-pre and amp that cost 19k. The speakers cost around 6k. I was recently at a show where some of the speakers cost over 50k a pair. My modest system sounded better than most of these expensive systems. Audio is really about system matching than anything else. I haven't heard too many really expensive systems that sounded good. I have heard a lot of matched systems that sounded great.
If you check the closest mirror orifice10, the answer will be crystal clear.

LOL

Taters, it sounds like you have a match up that will give you the biggest bang for the buck. Only the "connoisseur's" of good sound realize that when it comes to speakers, "less is more"; meaning a simple design with high quality crossover and drivers.

The music is in the grooves and only a stellar well tuned rig can extract it. This means the bulk of the money has to be spent "upstream". Saying one can send "jive" to the worlds best speakers and they will translate it to music is "jive".

The music leaves the grooves, goes through the cartridge on to the pre and then to the amp. If it's "jive" before it gets to the speakers, it's going to be "jive" coming out of the speakers.
going speakers first, might lock a person into a particular camp and I see that as a sort of drawback.

if you grab a pr of panels because of how they image perhaps, then decide you want to try out an 8 watt 300b amp, it's speaker selling time!

Yes. But that is no different than buying an 8 watt amp and then deciding you want to buy Maggies. Now it's amp selling time! I think you were right when you said that everything matters. That's why it's amp selling time or speaker selling time - because the person was not forward thinking. If they were (and it's not always possible to be) then it would not matter what they bought first as long as they avoided things like big impedance mismatches.

Don't misread this, I certainly do not disagree one bit that the upstream components should be as good as you can get them. And yes, lower end speakers can sound great with higher end amps. But I think some lower end amps really do hit above their weight. Nait 5i, Exposure 2010s2, etc. These can be considered entry level but they definitely aren't bad. Same with their CD player counterparts. I guess your point would be if you go cheap on one part go cheap on the speakers and then try to upgrade those. Again, I'm not sure I'd disagree. Although, if you have resonance issues in a $500 speaker, that won't go away if you use a $20,000 front end. Nor will mismatches with the speaker and room. Surely if this is the case, a speaker change first is in order.

I guess I'm saying there aren't any hard and fast rules. You have to take each situation and evaluate it on it's own merits.

It’s all been said … here and on other pages. And doubtless, will be said yet again… this hobby harbours worlds within worlds.

Reasonableness when selecting what ever item is the underlying understanding going into this mess. I seldom mention it. Not too many folks actually do. Some degree of common sense is prerequisite.

Well, that and a bucket of bucks.

Speakers should fit the room or vice versa.

Amps should fit the speakers, or vice versa.

Ever notice there seems to be a lot of vice in this versa.

You can light the wick on either end of this candle… some light both ends.

Which ever way one flips the coin so long as active relationships between those components that can physically interact with each other are given their due, eg., room & speakers, I doubt anyone is going into the ditch on amp selection unless they’re ignoring the speakers needs.

If however, some skimping is a ‘must’ along the way, speakers (within reason) is where I’d skin it back. Albeit, skimp is such a harsh word. Truth be told, I am sparing with my purchases all along the way, if I can. I simply hate paying the prices some folks want for this stuff… but eventually, I break down and do it…. If I feel it absolutely must happen. Following much trepidation, hesitation, research, wondering, worrying, and praying.

Praying predominately the carrier du jour handles with care whatever it is I buy… or sell.

That’s the biggest black hole to this hobby…. Shipping. It’s like riding a motor cycle… it ain’t a matter of ‘if’…. It’s a matter of ‘when’ it’s gonna get laid down, especially with those folks.

… it’s easier IMHO to ship in & out amps than it is full size floorstanding speakers every couple 3 months. So there’s that.

Gee.. I wish I were a ‘Can’ lover first and foremost. Ear buds and HP amps? Both Should fit right in the mail box.

It’s tuff to change your game plan when it’s worked well for ya over time.