Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Thanks guys, your making me really anxious to get my hands on this pre! Does anyone have info on the new and mysterious PX4? l must admit to being a valve gumby. Are these things a variation on the 101d's or a different family all together? Not many on ebay so l am guessing they are pretty uncommon, they certainly look huge, wont need lights in the listening room by the looks of it.

Cheers
I bought mine used off Audiogon a couple weeks ago. The seller lived near a radio tower and could not stop it from picking up interference. I think it was only a couple of weeks old when he sold it. I had no idea it was set up for 6sn7's, so I was thrilled when I got it. After owning sevreral MFA products and my previous 2 Suprtatek preamps, I have accumulated almost all forms of 6sn7 tubes. TJ Mesh has a picture tour to show there facility, definitely a mom and pop(and daughter) operation. They seem very committed to making great tubes and the PX4 is one of there new designs.
Hi Gang,

I spoke to Mick and he personally prefers the 6SN7 setup in the Cortese so I am going to stick with that. I have 2 pr. of Tung Sol round plates and some other 6SN7's that I will use in the Cortese when I get it.
Mondie,

PX4 tubes are normally for power amps whereas 101D are typically used on pre-amps. 101D is very microphonic and hard to obtain. According to Mick, he has found a way of using the PX4 to transfer the sound from 6NS7 with perfection (very stable and great-sounding, too!). See the link below for a blow-up PX4! Cheers, Kenji

www.diyhifisupply.com/tubes/px4-mesh-large.jpg
Slowhand,
Now look for some Philips Miniwatt GZ34's and EL37's and a pair of reasonably priced WE 350b's and you are set for the line stage.
On deck is some work on the phono stage if you have an interest.
From what I have been told, you are in for more than a treat with Mick's latest iteration of the Cortese. It is supposed to be quite an upgrade even from the earlier Cortese models.
Let us all know how you fare with your tube rolling and eventually when your Cortese arrives.
Rgds, Larry