solid state vs tubes--with a twist

has anyone compared either the cj mv 55, 75, or 125 with a ss amp ?

if so has anyone found one that sounds close to the conrad amps ?

i am asking this question for a reason.

as a reviewer, i have not yet reviewed a solid state amp. i am looking to find one that sounds close to the classic tube sound.

i won't be surprised, if i am told that none exists. but then, maybe there is one, hopefully in production.

i realize it's a long shot. but maybe i'll get lucky.
mrtennis
Thanks for the clarification Magfan, it seems I was playing a little loose with all the facts in this case. The further result was that Carver did develop an all out tube design that was highly regarded. I still take issue with any classic sounding tube gear and ss of any variety I've heard sounding similar in the way that it seems Mr. Tennis is looking for. I am quite familiar with 2 out of those 3 amps the MV75 and MV 125, owned a few cj pre-amps from that era and was in love with that sound myself at the time and I have NEVER heard any ss amp that sounds similar. That was a real signature sound for Conrad-Johnson. I can't say I am familiar with their new offerings and where they have gone.

Yes Racamudi, it was the N.E.W. 20.1 but weren't they battery powered as well? In any case I was quite impressed actually very impressed. I saw them at an audio show back in the early 90's and there were several demos using that amp.
I purchased the NEW DCA-33 back in 1996 along with the P-3 preamplifier (built by Cary and based on the SLP-50 circuit) and LP-3 phono stage. I enjoyed this set-up for about 7 years. The amp was definitely on the warm side of neutral, but after comparing it to a Cary V-12i I don't think I would confuse the sound the DCA-33 produced with the classic tube sound of the Cary.

While living in CA I happened upon the designer of the DCA-33. IIRC he confirmed for me that the design was based heavily on a Nelson Pass circuit known as the A-40. It's available on the Pass DIY website.

The power supply that turns AC into DC is a problem component. AC is problematic period. When I listen to "euphonic" music that's into subtle nuance, the noise floor on amps other than the N.E.W. let me know it was there. That's what was most impressive about the N.E.W., it was what I didn't hear.