Modern Linestages

This is a general question about how complex and expensive some linestages have become. I'm looking to understand why? I can grasp that really good volume controls are complicated and that equally good switches are not inexpensive. I also have a general understanding of the importance of a high quality power supply, which again is not going to come cheap. I just don't comprehend how you get to a 50lbs. plus preamps that cost well over $20k. Is this level of complexity really needed or is it the equivalent of the spate of 500hp "sedans" for every day driving?
128x128onhwy61
goldeneraguy,
Thanks for the kind comments,not only do I like tubes, but particularly SET -DHT tubes(sigh,there`s just no hope for me).
Best Regards,
When I attend live performances(unamplified jazz groups) they consistently sound rather,full,rich,round toned and yes warm. Even when they play very fast tempo music it`s still very full bodied and preserves a sense of ease and density(same is true of classical music programs).

Charles1dad,

Quintessentially, this has also been my observation. Personally, I advocate a closer examination of the recording process and what it yields.

Regards,

Sam
Start a power cord thread and I've seen more peace and harmony in an Oakland Raiders parking lot after a game. :-)

Onemug...that was hysterical! I recall going to Chargers/Raiders games that featured more action in the stands than in the game - LOL ;-)

Best,

Sam
Sam I see where you`re coming from, nothing wrong with that approach to system building at all. We all choose are own way to musical joy.
Mitch4t and C1ferrari,
glad you appreciated the humor.
In this day of acronyms, I find it interesting that "OR" can stand for either Operating Room or Oakland Raiders. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Looks like it's been heading southward from my 8-23 post.

Lately I've been dividing my attention between Irene and this thread. One is a phenomena that is wreaking havoc, upsetting people and causing a lot of anxiety. The other is a hurricane.