Modern Linestages

This is a general question about how complex and expensive some linestages have become. I'm looking to understand why? I can grasp that really good volume controls are complicated and that equally good switches are not inexpensive. I also have a general understanding of the importance of a high quality power supply, which again is not going to come cheap. I just don't comprehend how you get to a 50lbs. plus preamps that cost well over $20k. Is this level of complexity really needed or is it the equivalent of the spate of 500hp "sedans" for every day driving?
128x128onhwy61
Grannyring, it was the Constellation review that prompted my original post. It appears to be an enormously complex product for a linestage. Whether or not the Constellation pushes some theoretical state of the art is a question I'll probably never know. But I will ask is that level of complexity and its resulting cost really necessary for top level performance? My gut level reaction is that's it overkill for a device that adds 12dB of gain, switches between sources and adjusts the volume level. It's just my opinion.
Up front I `ll admit to being an advocate of free market capitalism. Sellers can set what ever price thay want and the consumer either complies or rejects(for what ever reason).
Grannyring you make some interesting points concerning factors that determine the cost of a product. Where I differ to some degree is the case touted for complexity. Generaliy It seems simpler circuits/designs built to a high standard with superior parts usally sound better(exceptions of course) than their highly complex competitors. While one can marvel at the impressive engineering achievement, many of this uber technical products don`t often past the "natural" sound test i.e. tone and realism of voice and instruments.

I`ve attended numerous audio shows including CES 4 times and have heard many of the praised high power-ultra expensive components and have been rather disappointed. Obviously this is subjective, they can sound very spectacular in an audiophile-hifi realm, but deviate from what natural music really sounds like. The simpler (within reason) circuits tend to sound like the live music I`m used to hearing, organic flow and sheer purity.Ears are good true detectors. Just one humble opinion.
Well it's not necessary if you're not shooting for the very, very best and trying to push SOTA.If using established means and really not pushing the limits is all one wants, then the push for that last vestage of improvement is a waste of time and money.

For others the 10 percent improvement and learning that comes from pushing to see "what if" we took this idea to the limit is a passion and worthy goal.

We all however benefit from the latter with new technology and learnings that result. These SOTA units also make it possible for each of us to decide for ourselves if that small improvement in fidelity is worth it. Without these efforts many of us would wonder "what if" or "what is possible if" and how much better could a stereo sound? We can know by going to a dealer and hearing.
One other thing for us to consider. If we rest and stay put on known current simple and complex designs, then we will never progress and learn what is possible.

I say continue to develop on both fronts (simple and complex) to the benefit of all Aphiles.
Charles1dad,

My current tube pre is a well executed, pretty simple design and the best I have yet to hear. I share the same general assumptions as you, but I have not heard enough to say simple is best. I just don't know for sure. I would love to live with a well reviewed $70,000 pre for a month or so:-)

Over the years I have assembled many good sounding systems. One that was particularly pleasing included 3.5 watt set amps, zero oversampling battery powered dac, belt drive transport, single driver horn speakers and both a passive and simple active preamp. Great sounding system that however did not match the realism of my current system. My current system is more complex if you will. Soundlab M1 speakers with an active crossover which is much more complex then my past horn speaker.
My current 600 watt/channel amp is more complex then my 3.5 watt SET amps to be sure and so on..However the end result of this system is more like the real thing.

I bet I could assemble another simple system as good as what I now think is my reference, but just have not gone in that direction as I am most content.

In the end, I am not sure one way is better then the other. I just don't know.