Modern Linestages

This is a general question about how complex and expensive some linestages have become. I'm looking to understand why? I can grasp that really good volume controls are complicated and that equally good switches are not inexpensive. I also have a general understanding of the importance of a high quality power supply, which again is not going to come cheap. I just don't comprehend how you get to a 50lbs. plus preamps that cost well over $20k. Is this level of complexity really needed or is it the equivalent of the spate of 500hp "sedans" for every day driving?
128x128onhwy61
True, it is not infinitely elastic, but it can stretch pretty far, why you often seen 10 different tiers of cables running from $3/ft to $3,000/ft - you just never know how much demand there might be to have the very, very, very, absolutely very best.
Doesn't matter how far it stretches, it still obeys the supply, demand and price principle.
08-30-11: Pubul57
True, it is not infinitely elastic, but it can stretch pretty far, why you often seen 10 different tiers of cables running from $3/ft to $3,000/ft - you just never know how much demand there might be to have the very, very, very, absolutely very best.
Pubul57 (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)
This could be the reason Magico is raising prices on the new Q series speakers. Probably miscalculating the high demand? or/both price increase of Al.
charles1dad... I apologize if my post came across as someone here suggesting that companies should not make a profit. I meant it as a general statement as it has been suggested (indirectly) in various threads over the years that companies should not use the excuse of recovering R&D for thier pricing.

It was simply refreshing to see grannyring's post.

Again, my apologies.
A question for Mr. Atmasphere,

Were you to design the best linestage of which you are capable, without regard to cost, and applied the "standard mark-up" formula you referenced earlier:

A) Where do you think it might weigh in?
B) What do expect the cost (per pound) might be?

We can do the rest of the math.
It might be enlightening for the OP, given the specific question he raised. (I'm kinda curious, too.)

Marty