Good budget tube amp?

So, I've been wanting to upgrade to a good tube amp for a long time now. Currently, I've got a pair of Totem Rainmakers and an NAD C375BEE. I'm thinking about selling the NAD and getting a tube amp instead. My question--can I get something good for 1k or less? I've listened to a Rogue Audio amp that I loved and am trying to find something similar in quality. I've been told to look at Dynaco, but as I don't have much familiarity with them, I'm not sure exactly what to look for. If someone could point me in the right direction with some model names to look for, or even a good site that has information on Dynaco/other budget tube amps so I can learn a bit more about what's out there, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Ag insider logo xs@2xrossbernstein
Sabocat59, I'd be curious to hear how this not-so-common (in contemporary gear) front end compares in sonic characteristics to those of today's more familiar circuit solutions. Can you compare pluses and minuses? And what tube complement did you choose to go with?
OK. I have not spoken to a JWN amp owner who is unhappy. Sonically speaking, his amps are quite amazing. The highs are lush, the mids are to die for, and there is ample bass. There is an added dimension-an almost holographic soundstage display, practically three-dimensional.

My amp uses 8 output tubes. I am currently using EH 6CA7 variety, although the amp will take EL-34's, KT-88's, etc. It weighs 85 lbs and has huge Baldwin amp transformers. It is auto-bias.

For a detailed explanation of the circuitry, check out this review by Dick Olsher:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1010/master_builder.htm

It is basically a grounded cathode input stage with a floating paraphase phase splitter. For contemporary reference, the $18K Esoteric A-100 uses a similar modified circuit.

I paid $1,500.00 LOL. Oh and did I say it sounds great?
Hey guys, I really appreciate all the time you put into your responses. I am going to spend some time later today going over them in depth. So far, I really like what I'm reading. The idea of putting my own tube amp together is exciting, from both a performance point of view and an economic one. It would also be a good educational experience for me since I know very little about tubes (even though I'm an engineering student and an audiophile). I also understand that there may still be good deals out there that are better than anything i can put together, so I will definitely do my homework in that regard. I will probably have more to say after I'm finished going over all your responses in depth and googling everything I don't yet understand. Thanks again.
Hi there,
There are a few good ones for around your price range.
My first choice is Vista Audio i34. EL-34 tubes. (Those tubes are some of the best) $980. The cool thing about this amp is that it is made in Serbia by a Serbian designer. Everything else in this price range is made in China. It has some great reviews and there is a 30 day trial period.
Another one you can try is from Jolida. The Jolida 202BRC $839 or the 302BRC around $1100.
If you can stretch your budget there is always the American made Rouge Cronus for $1800. Another interesting and well made amp for $1500 is from Antique Sound Labs. The AQ1003 Mark 2.
I have a Granite Audio 834 integrated. $2400 new. American made. Digital bias meter built in, that really helps. Had it for 2 years now and thinking of selling it soon to try a Mastersound Due Venti $3000. The Granite is the best amp out of all of my suggestions. It even sounded better to me than the VTL-i85 I had before it and that is saying something. I am hoping the Mastersound will be better than the Granite. Always trying something new :)
I personally do not think your Totems are a good match at all for tube amps. I would hook any of these up to a pair of Vandersteen 1C's or Zu Audio or even Proac speakers and be in musical bliss. I hope this helps. Once you go tubes it's hard to go back to solid state. Tubes rock.