Why 24/7 warm-up period on amps?

The 24/7 warm-up period on amps seems excessively unsupported. Yes, an amplifier (pre-amp or power amp) will change it's circuit factors as the init heats up since the resistive and capacitive values stabilize...but for months on end? Do we still have a "warm" heart for tubes, that do indeed need to get "hot" to work right?

A capacitor charges up based on it's RC time constant, which is in the SECONDS range, not days. OK, if you add the heat sink area so the heat going out is stabilized I can see maybe an hour or so. My DNA-225 gets HOT in thirty minutes, at which point it's steady state. That even assumes it doesn't have temperature correction circuits to make it more stable, and less subject to change over time.

Break-in periods are hard to judge what people think is happening. Circuit P/N junction temps get hot pretty fast. A mechanical device like a speaker or phono cartridge, sure, they will work-in just like a well used rubber band. But silicone? Factory burn-in is designed to find weak components that degrade outside of SOP ranges, not to "center" their attributes in a normal stable circuit. Did someone forget to add enough heat sink compound to a PNP or NPN transistor, for instance?

Assumming break-in is real, not to be confused with the warm-up period, once it's done it's done. After that it would be warm-up only time. And, warm-up is a simple thermodynamic process. It only takes so long to warm-up and it isn't "days" on end. Maybe hours...if even. Once things are to temp the circuit constants are set. What else is changing? A heat sink is designed to warm-up and hold a delta temperature where the measured performnace is flat. A small amp (pre-amp gain stage) has smaller heat sinks for this reason. Heat and resistance are related, so you have to pick a temp and hold it. You design to THAT attrubute on the component.

Wire conditioning in the amp? ( go here - http://www.angelfire.com/ab3/mjramp/golopid/grain.html) As well as several other sites and textbooks.

The DC path is just that, DC. The magic is the purity of the DC, not the wire moving it around. You either have the right voltage and current capability (wire size)or you don't. Once the amp is on, the wires capacitance hardly matters. PP, PE or Teflon dielectrics only ionizes-tree and fail at break down voltages around impurities, not below that. You do not want to ever ionize the insulation in normal practice.

AC is an interesting issue. The AC complex signal is ALTERNATING differently at each and every frequency point, so the magnetic and electric fileds keep switching with respect to frequency. So the dielectric can not have polarity, or current "direction". The dielectric will not "align" to anything.

Grain structure in copper does not change unless you melt it. It's set when the rod is made. Annealing just resets elongation by improving homogeneous grain alignment, not the grain boundary characteristics since wire is resitive annealed at well below the temp that would fully reform the grain boundary around impurities in the copper. Oh, all modern 9/16" rod copper is made in induction ovens and is essentially OFC grade. All wire is drawn from that rod. Modern copper is also "high conductivity". Again, these terms are throw backs to days gone by with coke furnaces and open air annealing to critical temps where impurities could be picked up, changing the grain boundaries around impurities.

I also notice the people seem to tout TEFLON over Polypropylene or polyethylene dielectrics. Teflon costs more, it is higher temperature capable to 150C-200C (like 80C on polyethylene isn't enough in electronics) but Teflon has a worse dissipation factor and loss tangent. Using Teflon has a more NEGATIVE influence on electricals than olefins. Teflon's velocity of propogation at RF frequencies way above 1MHz is 70% verses 66% for solid olefin dielectrics. But that is at RF. And, you can nitrogen foam either to negate that advantage of Teflon at RF, but NOT Teflon's high price, loss tangent or dissipation factor. Capacitance adjusted Teflon is a poor choice. So the important factors are capacitance, dissipation factor and loss tangent. We can easily fix the velocity of propagation. PE and PP is superior across the board and cheaper (that's probably the problem!).

Good circuits are good circuits. Could you even make a circuit that had electricals parameters that were undefined till it ran, "forever"? Nope, can't be done. Design would then be a game of chance. I don't think that it is. Stabilized junction temps are used to set electrical componenet attributes with respect to temperature. You can design heat sink characteristics to place "hot" components where thet need to be temp wise to meet a circuit requirement. A poorly designed amp that allows thermal run-away under load isn't appropriate and isn't made...for long. There is indeed a circuit junction temp that rather quickly defines the measurable performance of the circuit, and a STABLE delta attribute approximation(s) when a circuit is designed. You know going in what they will be in operation steady state.

So, I hear my speakers and phone stage "break-in. And they don't go backwards once thet are broken-in. They can, in fact, get worse and simply break-down! But my amp sounds fine in short order. The circuit reaches a thermodynamic steady state and we're off to the races. I just can't see a circuit that needs 24/7 "on" period to stabilize...unless it just isn't stable. To me that's a poor design, and one subject to possibly serious load induced instability when the circuit falls outside of the stable design region(s).

I'd sure like to see MEASURED attributes that support 24 /7 warm-ups on sound. I have yet to see any measured data to support this. Show me components used in amps that take MONTHS to reach stady values. I have read PLENTY to support first to third approximation(s) on amplifier circuits ambient thermal temperature stability points. Many circuits are designed to run "cold" and have inverse circuit systems to keep changes due to temp deltas away. This way, you have a more stable circuit at all times. The opposite designis technically UNSTABLE till it gets to temp. This also limits what you can do as it can't blow-up when it is cold BEFORE it gets hot and stable. So the circuit is a compromise.

So just what are the resistive, inductive and capacitive break-in periods on quality components used in a circuit? In God we trust, all else bring data.- unknown
rower30

09-14-11: Kijanki
Voltage ratio in electronics is, and always has been 20log(v2/v1). Pretty much anything other than power is always 20dB(k2/k1) including sound pressure, sound level etc.

-3dB of voltage means 0.708 of a value.

i see; so in your mind a 3dB reduction in power "has always" meant that power if reduced to 0.708 of it's original value and not 0.5 of it's original value.

ok...i can see that when you drill down, there is much inconsistency among the dB equation citing crowd. you're not even consistent with almarg; at least he realizes (i think) that a 3dB reduction in power means that power has been reduced to 0.5 of it's original value.

As for power cord. What you describe is average value. Amplifier might take 10A on average but it will be taken in narrow spikes of 100A or more, causing 10V drop on your 0.1ohm power cord equivalent to 20% drop in max power.

you would blow your circuit breaker if you tried to send a 100A surge through a power cord. audio equipment is not designed for use in industrial settings, they're used in homes for the most part.

Capacitor inside is not discharging faster. The problem is that it discharges very little. If voltage drops from one peak of 120Hz full wave to the next only 50mV (ripple voltage) and amplitude is 50V then charging will be done only in arccos((50V-50mV)/50V)=2.6deg. Charging pulse will be 16.6ms*2.6deg/360deg=0.12ms. Pulses will be a little wider because of all inductance in the circuit but as Atmasphere said - in millisecond range.

i think you misunderstood my point. i was not commenting on the *length* of a pulse, i was commenting on the *frequency* of pulses. as i read atmasphere's comments, he was saying that these pulses occured at a high frequency. what i was saying is that the pulses only occur once per second - hardly what i would call high freqeuency.
Atmasphere - sorry for using word "waste", since filament makes it all work, and overstating losses. With my tendencies to exaggerate 50% error ain't bad at all.

09-14-11: Atmasphere
Paperw8, the amp I mentioned in my example draws 500W from the wall at full power.

i've got light fixtures that draw more power than that, so 500w is not a ridiculous power draw.

If you dig around on this forum, you will find that the idea that the stereo sounds better late at night is a fairly common experience. IOW you are right that other loads on the AC line do indeed affect the sound of many stereos.

if you're telling me that audio equipment makers are selling equipment where the power output swings wildly as a result of only a few tenths of a volt difference in power from the wall, that i would say that some pretty shaky equipment is being sold at top dollar prices. one of the things that i appreciate in your comments it that it helps me understand how very challenging it is to design a power amplifier - in fact, it seems to me that that might be the most challenging device to design - but all the same, i would have thought that the power supplies in these devices were a regulated a bit better than your comments would lead me to believe.

Finally, with regard to the posts you are trading with Al, if you have ever heard of a first-order crossover in a speaker, that is a filter that is as simple as they get. A first-order crossover is of course 6db/octave. I don't think I have ever heard of a 3db/octave filter, but such a filter would actually need *more* parts to make it happen.

here's the problem: referring to the henry ort reference, ort is correct, dB is, strictly speaking, a ratio of power levels. the problem is that it is true that people have also (and admitted incorrectly if you want to be a strict constructionist about it) used dB to refer to ratios of other quantities. that has led to confusion. when you say that a first order filter falls off by 6dB/octave, that is a statement of how the power levels change.

to give you an example of the confusion, if you look at a bryston schematic, where they have the balanced inputs, they use a resistor ladder to reduce the voltage by 1/2. they refer to the reduction as a 3dB reduction in the schematic. if you use the 20log(v2/v1) equation, you would get a 6dB reduction.

i suppose the proper course of action is to maintain the strict construction of what a dB is; i.e. that it is only used to inform on what is going on with power levels and nothing else.
Paperw - My statement about -3dB clearly said voltage and also said before "other than power". Please read carefully before you post. Are you still arguing your 10log idea for voltage in spite of what I told you about common agreement in all measuring equipment?

I'm not sure what you question with the circuit breaker? Home circuit breaker won't respond to 1ms pulses - it is to slow for that. It will respond to average value base on duty cycle within each 16.6ms period.

Frequency of occurrence and frequency content of pulse are two completely different things. Lightning, for instance, is a single even that is very short meaning it is carrying very high frequency content. Because of that lightning rod wire has to be pretty straight (no sharp corners) to keep low inductance and effectively drain high frequency current to ground.
09-14-11: Paperw8
Voltage ratio in electronics is, and always has been 20log(v2/v1). Pretty much anything other than power is always 20dB(k2/k1) including sound pressure, sound level etc.
-3dB of voltage means 0.708 of a value.
i see; so in your mind a 3dB reduction in power "has always" meant that power if reduced to 0.708 of it's original value and not 0.5 of it's original value.
ok...i can see that when you drill down, there is much inconsistency among the dB equation citing crowd. you're not even consistent with almarg; at least he realizes (i think) that a 3dB reduction in power means that power has been reduced to 0.5 of it's original value.
Paperw8, Kijanki said that a reduction in VOLTAGE to 0.708 corresponds to a 3db reduction, which is the same thing that I said (although I rounded off differently, to 0.707). Obviously, for a given load a reduction in voltage to 0.708 corresponds to a 50% reduction in power, which in turn corresponds to the same 3db. There is no inconsistency among what I, Kijanki, Atmasphere, and JeffreyBehr have said on the db and filter rolloff issues.
when you say that a first order filter falls off by 6dB/octave, that is a statement of how the power levels change.
As I have tried to explain multiple times in different ways, it is a statement, for a given load, about how both the power levels AND the voltage levels change. It means that in one octave the voltage level has been reduced by a factor of 2, and the power level has been reduced by a factor of 4. Is that not clear?

Regards,
-- Al