Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Ongkaku : you are using a Supratek Cabernet with a Plinius
amp ! It's very interesting for a friend of mine (and maybe even for myslef although I am very please with my Plinius preamp) because we have a Plinius SA250 amp and consider a good tube preamp !

You are happy with this combo ? Plinius and Supratek are good friends :-) ?

A detail : It would be good to live the amp "on" all the time (as recommended by Plinius) and to switch the preamp "off" when not used (to avoid changing the tubes every year !). For this, is it possible to use the mute function of the Cabernet ? I mean : does this really "kill" the outputs so that it is safe to switch on the preamp while the amp is already "on" ?

Any comment would be welcome. Many thanks.

Kindest regards,

Aurel.
Aurel, I am happy with the Plinius + Supratek combo. The Mute function of the power amp is a must before turning on/off the Supratek preamp. The Mute really "kills" the output of the power amp, so don't worry.

Kenji
Aurel,

I read that all Supratek preamps are tranformer coupled. I could be wrong but the info is in the website.

I believe the round semi-cylindrical "thingy" at the back of each regulator tubes are the transformer for each channel output. BTW, I have the Chenin.

Well, in any case, if you can post here I am pretty sure that your English is fine and Mick will understand your inquiry.
I believe the "towers" behind the regulator tubes are just decorative. At one time they housed the transformers, but I think the tranformers are now inside the preamp. Mick left the towers because he liked the looks.
Correction:

"I believe the round semi-cylindrical "thingy" at the back of each regulator tubes are the transformer for each channel output."

I should have said "...were the transformer was "housed"...."

Thanks Slowhand for the correction. One question though, I have seen older Syrahs were there is a significant discoloration on the "dome" top not the sides near the regulators which un-mistakenably heat related. So these were the pre "in-house" series? My Chenin is almost 9 months now and it is still spotless! So that will point out that the change occured not more than 10-11 months ago?

Just curious. Thanks for any info in advance that you can provide.