Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
How much better is the Cabernet compared to the Sauvignon? Or is the Chardonay good enough? If my memory is correct, Bwhite was a bit disappointed with the cortese when compared to his syrah. Is it worth the extra money?
Comments would be appreciated.
Hi Thf,

Sonically they are very similar but the Cortese is more refined, precise and has better bass extension. The highs are more controlled and sweeter with the Cortese. The tonal balance of the mids is difficult to distinguish between the two preamps.

Overall both preamps have the same family sound but in an effort to describe the subtle differences with words I will undoubtedly create a scenario which is more exaggerated than is true. Ready for an exaggeration?? Here it goes!!The Syrah sounds more immature - like a rambunctious child compared to a more mature, strict and disciplined Cortese.

Done exaggerating.

This type of improvement is typical in high end audio when upgrading any component within the same manufacturers line.

Unfortunately the area where there is the most significant improvement between the Cortese and the Syrah is in the overall quality of the unit.

For whatever reason, the Cortese has zero microphonics, zero hum and/or buzz. The Cortese is not as sensitive to tube quality and less sensitive to where its power supply is located. The Cortese does not rattle or vibrate internally - it's heavy and solid - like it should be.

The Cortese seems like a better perfected high-end component whereas the Syrah, to some degree feels like a high-end "DIY" type of component.

Awesome results can be achieved with the Syrah but its subtle quirks can overtly effect the sonics if extra care is not taken in tube selection, positioning / location of the power supply, relation of the preamp to other components, etc.

Is it worth the extra money? I think so.
Good to hear from your Brian, it has been a while since I have seen you on here.

Tom
Thanks Tom! It's good to be back! The past several months have been very hectic. Now it looks as if I'll be moving from California to Charlotte, North Carolina within the next month or two...so it's not over yet. I'll do my best keep up to speed with everyone on this thread as things progress.

When is your Cortese due to arrive?
Thanks, Bwhite for your comments. Do you have any experience with the Cabernet? Would you buy it? How does it compare with the cortese?