Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Ongkaku - RE: the stock TJ PX4 tubes are really really transparent!

Thats really good news because there are no tube rolling alternatives for that tube.

I am glad that you are pleased. Tell us about your listening experience when you get the chance. I know you'd rather be listening than typing.

FWIW - someone told me that Mick would build the cabernet with the we300b if requested. But I am certain you would have to buy the tubes beforehand and ship them to Mick before he started on the order. In a lot of ways the we300b would be a really good tube to work with. There is a good supply of NOS tubes, and the UX4 socket is easy to get also. Westrex is currently manufacturing the we300b using the old western electric facilities. The we300b is a very highly regarded tube. The only downside is they are expensive.
So, I sold my Syrah, w/ NOS tubes, and the receiver (a really great guy), w/ Avantguard Duos, Audiomeca Mephisto, custom 300b amp, said that in his system, the Syrah was clearly beaten out by the Audioprism Mantissa. Although he said the Syrah was very open and transparent, he said the soundstage was smaller, and less focused. In fact, he said his BAT 50Se also beat the Syrah, with the Audioprism beating them all.

How's that for reality check!!
Wow, Dennis_the_menace, he already has your Syrah in his system? Did you fly it over to Canada for him? Hahah. I wonder if he allowed for adequate break in and synergizing?

But indeed, it is helpful to hear other perspectives.
Hey Dean... we used FedEx Intl Economy Air.. took about 2 days, but man it was pricey. Worth it though, I'd rather have something arrive safe, and be trackable, then to have it get lost in customs. The unit was mine, so it was completely broken in, and in terms of synergizing, maybe it was bad synergy? but I feel that a good preamp should make any system better, no?