Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
I was able for the first time to listen to my new Chenin that I bought from Audiogon last night. I feel that pictures really do not do this preamp justice because in person it is a visual knockout. It also sounds great and I only was able to listen to CD's last night. I can't wait to start spinning some vinyl again! I have a couple of questions that have come up since last night. I think there are about 8 inputs in the rear of the unit and only 4 settings for inputs on the front selector. Can someone inform me how this works? Secondly, what makes a greater difference tube rolling or a new power cable? I have seen many postings dealing with NOS tubes, Is there any consensus about which tubes are the best for these preamps? Which tubes make the greatest difference? Lastly, do most people use the high or low gain setting? Thanks in advance. Bob

Larryrosen,

Congratulations on your choice. I think you can look forward to a VERY pleasant experience. I say this confidently as my sys. is quite similar to yours in many ways & the Supratek was a perfect match in mine. I too use a MC352 paired to a Chardonnay driving TDL Reference Studio Monitor 'M' . Are your B&W the Nautiluses ? I have heard the N802 & in many ways they sound similar to the TDL's. I too run everything in un-balanced mode. Have been leaning towards sigledriver / horn / 300B sys since of late. The Chardoanny performed admirably in this combination as well. So hang in there & keep counting the days.

Now if only Mick puts his mind to a 300B SET .....................
Baranyi,

I assume you do not have the manual.

Looking at the back of the preamp,

Phono Loading Slider Switch: Top to Bottom = 47k,1K, 100, and 10 Ohms respectively if your preamp is standard. Otherwise, you have to ask the original owner on what config he requested (values).

RCA's from left to right: Phono input (considered as input 1), then input 2, input 3, and input 4.
Next is Tape REC and then Tape Play. Then it's output 1 and output 2. Gain, then power.

For the front knobs, Left is Volume control, and Right is the selector switch with the ff setting as you move CW: phono, input 2, input3, input 4.

As for the power cord, I find it better to get a good regulator tube than a power cord. The regulator tube's impact to the preamp performance is instantaneous.

As far as I know, many owners use different tubes. It is difficult to pinpoint what the best tubes are for each position from previous posters/text but it is a little easier to determine which does not sound good as you read the thread. For example, RCA 5692's does not bring its magic on this preamp. So as the Tungsol 5881, etc. etc.

I use the "low" gain setting on mine.

congratulations!
Amandarae,
Thanks for the assistance. I did get an emailed version of the manual but it didn't specify what the inputs are. Thanks for clarifying it for me. I have been playing around with the gains settings and the best for me so far is high gain with some of the gain cut back on the 6 way switch on the back of the unit. I have only played the Chenin one evening though and that could change. I look forward to comparing notes with you since we have the same amp (H2O) and preamp. They were a magical pair on my first evening using them. Bob
Im thinking of upgrading my amps to VTL 450 or Parasound JC-1. I love the VTLs but cant help but wonder about the JC-1s considering the price and all the positive press they have received. Anyone out there have experience with these two amps with Chenin as pre.

Thanks