Good tube preamp with Sony 5400

I am looking for a tube preamp for sony5400 running Focal 918s. I set my sights on the Doge 8 and looks like about a 2k investment with tube upgrades.
Is the Doge in the same coversation with the likes of Cary, Joule, or even Mcintosh C220?
I am looking to warm up a bit.
Would an extra $500 to $1000 investment make a big difference?
mcpherson
I have a rebuilt H/K Citation 16a that I will probably hold on to for a while. I am somewhat satisfied to think I am using a Marantz receiver as the pre right now. I am very curious to hear the difference a good preamp should make...
Mcpherson, that other thread we were both on seems to have been deleted. Long time, no see. I would imagine an extra investment would make a difference, but only you can decide it it's worth it to you. I own the Doge and really love it, but don't know how much warmth you're looking to impart. I don't find it to be as warm as some other tube preamps I've heard, but that's a matter of taste and could likely be tweaked through tube rolling. I got the upgraded tubes and haven't done any rolling.

It couldn't hurt to audition other linestages before you buy. If you look into tube linestages without phono sections, you should have a lot of options and be able to get into a more established brand at around the same price as the Doge. I've heard good things about the Rogue Metis at just over $1k, but have never heard it. Once you're at $2k, without the need for a phonostage, I believe you're also in CJ and ARC territory. Will you like them better than the Doge? No way to answer that.

It would be great if you could audition them, though, with your own equipment. Buying without an audition is a real crapshoot. I have done it several times in the past year and it has always worked out, but I don't think I will do it again. It doesn't suit my personality type, I guess. On the other hand, if you don't mind the process of buying and selling things on Audiogon, it is a great way to try things out. And you avoid the ding of being the first buyer, who takes the biggest hit when it comes to depreciation. When I go to sell the Doge ( I already know this will happen...too many boxes...desire to simplify) I will take the loss. This would happen with virtually any brand. Look at the Thor's original price. :) If you're buying the Doge new, you'll have 30 days to decide and then pay the 11% restocking fee+shipping if you don't like it. You may like it as much as I did. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the Doge. I'll answer whatever I can. Those Focals are beautiful speakers. Hope you're enjoying them.
Anon..you are right,the other thread about the Sony was deleted.
Glad to hear from you again. I still have a little time to decide before I am ready to buy. I have been watching to see if a Doge 8 would come up on Audiogon to see what it may go for. The only one I have ever seen went for around 950 or 1000 with some extra tubes I think.
As far as it being worth it to me to spend the extra $...it would be because this will be my last purchase for a while.(im sure im the first to say that!)
I got a couple sacds in the mail yesterday and had a day off today so I tinkered around a bit. Initial impression was very crisp and detailed but maybe too bright. It may sound rediculous but I have some old Klipshe surround speakers hooked up to a Walmart special in my garage that this new "Genius Loves Company" cd sounded fantastic on. Balanced and easy to listen to.haha.
Sooooo...where is my upper region overkill coming from? I am hoping it is the preamp? Warmth and midrange is my focus. I think I have enough power with the Citation.
I guess you should go ahead and get rid of the Doge soon, I may know someone to take it off of your hands.:)
In terms of warmth I wanted to know how the preamps I was interested in ranked? Out of the Cary, Joule, Doge, and Mcintosh.
+1 on Thor Audio preamp. I heard it in a friends system. Competes with 5-10k preamps. I would happily live with it in place of my VAC Ren III preamp if I had to.