Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Hi Guys,

hi Steve ! I have a few comments re the noise issues that I don't quite understand. From day one I thought my Pass X-250 was a noisy b--d of a thing (through umpteen pre-amps).
Install the Supratek, lots less noise, install the HT cyberlinks - no noise.
But this is through the line stage which I think is phenomenal.
Now I have set the loading to 100 Ohms, I love the phono stage but it is way noiser than my Quicksilver - not unbearable but much noisier. What annoys me more is I am hearing surface noise and this has never been a problem in my system with any of the umpteen table/combos I own.
Tried all the gain settings on the Syrah and have it set on the lowest without resorting to the switches on the top of the unit.
In my system it sounds way more natural at the lowest gain(on the rear knob - top switches still set to high).
I'm now thinking that some adjustment for the gain on the phono would have been way more beneficial than all the variables for the total gain.
I love the phono stage in the Syrah - it's not as 'robust' as the Quicksilver but has more depth and nuance BUT - if it means sticking the Quicksilver thru the linestage to lose surface noise, that may be the way I have to go.
Before anyone says vta etc - my tables run into the teens
and using zyx's predominently means I'm happy ? to spend weeks tweaking for best effect so it's not down to my table set up.

Tried a pair of CBS red/brown base 5962S in place of the Sylvania 6SN7s - way better - same detail but much warmer and full bodied sound while retaining the dynamics.

On the question of an uprated cable between the units:
a) I would have thought screening might be beneficial over a longer length but 15" ?
b)having converted mine to 240V the gauge of the wire from iec input to transformer makes a mockery of the Shunyata beast I'm feeding it from.

On a final note as it's very late here, I would not dream of installing a tube before I had cleaned the pins and treated them with Silclear - imo a tube without Silclear is like an Irish Coffee with no cream - no comparison!
Cheers Si
Gentlemen, exactly where does one go to actually purchase one of these Supratech preamps? The Cantec.net.au website is not working. Help!!
Its been a few days since i put the TSRP6sn7s in;the first few hours they did sound thin,but within a few hours the sound started filling out ,,compared to the EH6sn7 they lack a small bit of slam,but are easier on my ears,they present the music in a more natural way,very well balanced sound,great tone,compared to the Kenrad VT231 Blackglass,they are more open,natural sounding,tighter bass,better detail,much quieter,not quite as holographic,but i think they are truer to the music,a very musical tube!!IMHO!Ive yet to try a tube that sounded bad in my Chardonnay,just diff.
Hi,
I'm hoping someone can help with a question regarding the output for the Cortese. I need to use a bypass for home theater. I know that Mitch offers an HT bypass, but I have a chance to get a Cortese on Audiogon, but it doesn't have a bypass, only a tape loop. Does anyone know if, in fact, these are one and the same?
thanks,
Michael