Pre-amp suggestions for Thiel 2.4/Pass Labs XA30.5

Looking to get a pre-amp to mate with my Thiel 2.4s and the Pass Labs XA-30.5. I've got about at $2500 limit and need a phono section (or need to to pick up a MM phono stage in addition... but still stay under the $2500 limit). I'm currently using a Classe CAP-151's pre-amp section, but it seems that it's getting outclassed a bit by the new additions. Any suggestions? I'm open to both tube and SS options.
128x128cal3713
Not to suggest that good bass is the number one priority, but IME without good solid bass response the Thiels can sound a bit tipped up. I think the part of the appeal of the Thiels, is due to the outstanding balance of all paramaters, rather than any specific one.

Explains a lot of the stereotype, but also what some swear by Theil as among the best speakers ever made - got to have the right amp:)

Agree with both those statements. It's funny that with my 250wpc MF SS integrated amp, I found the top end harsh and the overall sound a bit thin, whereas with my 110wpc ARC tube amp, I have a much more natural and neutral tonal balance without any portion of the frequency spectrum thrust forward or recessed. I think the power supply in the ARC amp was clearly superior to that of MF.

Cal3713...if there is a way to audition the X250.5 before purchasing it (or maybe negotiating a time frame in which you can return the amp if it's not a good fit and just be out the shipping costs)?
I ran an X250 w/2.4's for a year or so & while they sounded & imaged fantastic on really well recorded/produced material they were really fatiguing on less than perfect material. I had a decent front end & all the recommended ancillaries so it wasn't that. Never got around to trying them w/a tube amp before I sold them & moved on. My guess is tubes are the synergistic combo
The impedance and phase angle would be challenging for most tube amps. Getting a tube amp with enough power to handle the load can get expensive. A tube pre that matches the input of the amp could work nicely.
Cal3713...if there is a way to audition the X250.5 before purchasing it (or maybe negotiating a time frame in which you can return the amp if it's not a good fit and just be out the shipping costs)?

~~~
I'll just be buying used and hopefully reselling at a negligible loss if I don't like the combo (unless Reno gets a demo/used 250.5 in).

There are a number of McIntosh 402s up right now that are certainly interesting... also assuming that I could resell without too much loss there, so the purchase would be the demo.

I've been scared off of tubes. Everything technical about the match sounds bad, so the only real draw is the characteristic "tube sound." I'm also good at getting worried about non-issues, so I don't like the idea of having to worry about tube maintenance.
I'm not really sure how the Mac autoformers would work with Thiels. For that matter, I'm not really sure I completely understand how the autoformers work at all with the ss Macs. Wouldn't the dB W's go down with the speakers impedance demands, just as they're demanding more? If so, might that make the speakers sound bright? Or would the rather contained impedance swing of the Thiels negate that issue? Other than to keep heat down, what's the point? Wouldn't proper heat sinks deal with that? Would someone please explain it to me?