Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Ecclectique and Mustang
Hi, I located the 1957 Philips Mini Watt metal base GZ34. I am looking forward to giving that a try. Expensive but it seems it may be well worth it. Also located a set of 6SN7
Tung-sol round plates. This should be fun. I researched this topic for quite a long time. They appear to be great suggestions.
Have you guys tried out any 7308's in the phono stage?
I was also advised that the 6F6 tube works well in the regulator position? Mick built my Cortese with 4 regulator tubes so it gets a bit more difficult.
Ecclectique, I will revisit the hum issue I raised. I hope I did not make too much of it. It is not there under most db levels. It may in fact be more of a tube rush noise but only at very high levels. I do run an all tube system.
Atma-sphere amps. I will check this out. Overall I think this is a very quite pre.
Thanks for all the great info.
Fiddler,

I agree with you completely on your findings of the EH6sn7's. I bought mine used and I believe they are broken in. I think they sound fantastic. Plenty of body and weight to the music with great dynamics. On CD's I feel they are just as good as my TS rounds, on phono the TS may be a hair better, but not enough to worry about. I have had my EH6sn7's in my Syrah ever since I got them and fell I am missing nothing at not having my NOS tubes in. Doc, you have my mouth watering when you describe the sound of your Cortese. These last few weeks of waiting will be the worst.
Doc, You are quite ambitious I must say. The Philips is a great tube. I replaced the four 5881 regulator tubes that came with my Grange. I am currently using a matched quad of 1948 Westinghouse 6F6 and it sounds wonderful. FWIW I recommend using Walker SST or Xtreme contact enhancer.

Down the road, think about installing the Mundorf coupling capacitors. Expensive but they really kick some butt. I also replaced the factory installed Auricaps with a pair of V-Cap teflon film caps and my Grange is singing sweet.
Thanks Mustang.
I am surprised about your use of contact enhancer. I thought the conventional wisdom on that was not to use anything on tube pins. I use the SST product on connections with some success.
I appreciate the 6F6 tube info. I do not fully understand tube swapping. Ex. 6F6 for 5881. Nomenclature is so different. Foremost, DO NO DAMAGE.
Yes, I am a bit ambitious. I caught this disease about 40 years ago with my first purchase at the old "Lafayette
Electronics" store. I have never found a cure. I guess this gives up my age. I wish my ears were as good today.
I am possibly seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I am sure I will always try out a new tube or set on IC's but my equipment purchases are nearly at the end. (I hope)
At least until the "next great thing" comes out.
The Cortese is so good that I find it hard to believe that it can get better with NOS tubes. I must hear for myself and in that light I may as well go for the best tubes I can find up front. I don't want to make tube swapping a full time job.
Doc
Docsavage,

Don't get so caught up in tube swapping that you lose track of the music. After the Cortese is broken in, try some of the NOS tubes that the guys have mentioned. Just make sure you enjoy the music above all else. I am playing Lucinda Williams double LP "World Without Tears". KILLER MUSIC!