Cary SLP 03

I noticed that this pre had a price drop by about 1k. I've found two rather luke warm reviews, so I want to get some feedback from actual owners on its performance. How does it compare to other pre's in its price range, like the Rogue gear, for example.

Does it responde well to tube rolling, and in your opinion, is it a much better value at its current price retail price of $1995.
hawk28
Hi all ! Yes , I agree on all points . I was trying to convey that sometimes we dont know how bad or how good something is until we substitute something else in the system . Not trying to compare the two really , just dont think the 03 is worth alot and the 05 was worth every penny .
I also bought an 05 after auditioning an 03. The 03 wasn't offensive, just wasn't impressive though. I wouldn't call the 05 a lush preamp either.
I agree with Mikey8811. The SLP-05 is not a lush pre-amp, at least not with the stock tubes, which I actually prefer to keep in place.
Would anyone consider the 03 "lush." I would consider the CJ ET-3 on the lush side of things, and that is what I'm looking for in order to tone down the treble on some recordings.
Hawk28. You can reach your goal with tube rolling. I just put some Mullards in this week and yes it is a more lush sound.