Please help me understand

There are two concepts I've never been able to reconcile. How is it possible for different amps to have similar distortion levels (inaudible), yet still have what audiophiles might describe as a "tonal signature". In other words, how is it possible for an amp to have a perceived "warm" or "bright" sound, if it's accurately reproducing the input signal? It seems to me that all high quality, properly functioning amps should sound the same. If they don't, them some of them aren't doing their job very well.
danoroo
Some good comments above. And wonder of wonders, not one comment claiming that they DO sound the same if they measure the same. I would just like to add that not only don't we yet know how to measure everything that might affect the signal passing through an amplifier, but we also underestimate how little the deviation from perfect has to be for the human ear to hear it. The human ear is more sensitive than any measuring tool.
PRetty much everything in the signal path makes a difference to some extent, some more audible than others. Add it all up and there is good chance two amps will not sound exactly the same.

There's a lot more to it than the minimal measurements and specs that are typically made available if you are lucky.
wire is wire, it should all sound the same. bits are bits, all cdp's should sound the same. distortion is distortion, all amps should sound the same. this is what scientists would have you believe.

in the real world, distortion numbers are a very poor measurement for how an amp sounds since you can lower distortion numbers by increasing feedback. Most amp designers today realize that eliminating feedback is more important than lowering distortion numbers for an amps sound. That's why when you look at the price tag of many amps, the price goes up as the distortion levels go up. Scientists that buy amps by distortion levels can do so on the cheap.

whatever floats your boat.
This is why measurements have 'limited' use when it comes to audio components. The ears can simply hear far more than any current test bench equipment can hope to measure. Maybe one day, but certainly not now.I`ll choose what sounds good vs impressive numbers and graphs on a piece of paper any day.
Hi all ! I agree with everyone above except the 1st response . The way an amp is made (talking about the chassis and covers ) has alot to do with the way they sound also . Think a big , heavy amp does bass so well because of the sheer output power ? That is only part of it , the amps weight and thickness of its panels also add bass . Dont think so ? Take a 10 lb weight from your weight bench , wrap it in a towel ( to keep it from ringing ) and set it on your amp . Lower and tighter bass .