Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Hi Maril555,

Thanks for the info on the tubes. When I talked with Mick several months ago, he said the EL34's would only put out 20wpc as opposed to the KT88 50 wpc. I guess that has changed. This is good news. Mick told me the EL34's have a sweeter sound than the KT88's. I think I will go with the EL34's when I order. Don't know what brand of power tubes Mick is using. They are probably readily available an inexpensive, as Mick seems to shy away from expensive tubes in his designs (good for him!).
Just finished an extended listening session with the Chenin, and I'm very impressed, although I've only listened to the linestage so far. Very tight bass, lush mids, and extended highs. I wasn't expecting better bass from a tube preamp, but I certainly did get it! I'm hearing things I haven't heard before in recordings, such as musicians breathing! All this using a computer power cord attached to a zip cord extension while I wait for the Belden cable and Wattgate ends to arrive from Parts Express. Should only get better!
I'm running modified Flying Mole class D monoblocks, a Sony CD player, and Zu Druid speakers.
Ait, congrats on your preamp!!!Im hoping Kgturner recieves his Malbec soon so he can tell us how good it sounds!!!When i recieve mine i will be in an apt. and fine tuning my system and room,but i will keep everyone up to date on how everything is going with the Chardonnay/Malbec combo.I will probably have my CJ MF2500A up for sale soon after recieving the Malbecs.Ray
Aloha,

I've become very interested in the Supratek preamps and have read through the entire thread. But the music I listen to seems to lie outside the box for the majority of Supratek owners. I listen mainly to classical music--Renaissance choral, Romantic Italian opera, and symphonic orchestral music. Can anyone comment on the Supratek, say the Chardonnay linestage, and its rendering of this kind of music? Lots of massed trebles and dynamic peaks, complex orchestral crescendoes, dynamic operatic solo voices. I'm thinking of a Chardonnay to match with an Air Tight ATM-2 KT-88 power amp and, possibly later, an Art Audio PX-25 SET amp. And I want to thank you all for your enthusiastic and pertinent discussions of so many interesting and involving things having to do with the Supratek preamps.

Mahalo,
Just finished an extended listening session with the Chenin, and I'm very impressed, although I've only listened to the linestage so far. Very tight bass, lush mids, and extended highs. I wasn't expecting better bass from a tube preamp, but I certainly did get it! I'm hearing things I haven't heard before in recordings, such as musicians breathing! All this using a computer power cord attached to a zip cord extension while I wait for the Belden cable and Wattgate ends to arrive from Parts Express. Should only get better!
I'm running modified Flying Mole class D monoblocks, a Sony CD player, and Zu Druid speakers.

Ait,

Yes, for some reason, the Supratek sounds good with a PWM amp! I have the ICE H2O before and my Chenin drives it pretty good.

Congratulations, but a warning. If you are planning to roll tubes, read the tubes tread very carefully. Better yet, contact owners Stiltskin, Slipknot1, and Fiddler. Ask them about their experiences with NOS 6SN7 tubes because that pair of tubes will break your bank before you can say WTF!