McIntosh C220

Can anyone tell me if this tube preamp is good to pair with my old vintage amp McIntosh MC2100? Also like to know hows the sound quality of the C220 compare to others. Thanks.
miketuason
Thank for the input guys. C2300 is also my dream but, for now I will have to settle and enjoy the C220 until I can save a little more then, trade it for the C2300. Also I'm glad to hear about the C220 giving a better sound stage because, that's exactly what I like to improve on my system.
The C220 is certainly a good preamp. Whether it's a good value, depends on what YOU value. I have an MC275 and when I was after a pre the C220 and C2200 where the natural options, I thought. But you should ask yourself what is REALLY important to you? Value of Mc as a brand, looks, ergonomics (remote, gazillion inputs, input level adjustment, etc), tone controls, phono section, sound quality, price, etc.

After some introspection I came to the conclusion sound was THE driver for me. That is, for a given price point, what is the best sound I can get? I auditioned the C220 and C2200 with my amp and my speakers, and ended up purchasing a Lamm LL2 deluxe. Can't say it's pretty, no remote, 3 inputs, no phono stage. Even 2 volume pots! But I like the sound a lot better than with the C220/C2200 or other. Just fantastic!!! Great match with the 275. There are, of course, other very good preamps from other brands. Let me know if these sound like YOUR drivers and I can look for the short lists of preamps I had.

I hope this helps!
I traded my C220 for the C2300 and it's now hooked up to my MC2100 I must say, it did made a big difference and I have not even roll any tube yet.