Not ENOUGH GAIN

I have a transcendent grounded grid preamp,hooked up to a anthem a2 power amp 225 watts per,a pair of von schweikert vr3,I have very little gain,I will have the volume turned up to seven and it is just at a normal level. Is there any way I can increase volume. THanks Maxwell
maxwell
"jeffreybehr: "And can your system play as loudly as you want it to?"

Maxwell, does your system play as loudly as you want it to?
Hmmm, since the Grounded Grid is a DIY preamp kit my recommendation is to contact the seller/designer of these kits Bruce Rozenblit and get his opinion on this. With the gain structure that Phil laid out, I'd also say that something sounds a bit fishy.
I think the best gain control on an amp is no gain control. It is convienient perhaps when your pre-amp is noisy or has too much gain to give you full use of the VC on your pre-amp, but you don't really need the minor degredation its use can create. Turn it to maximum and use the pre-amp VC. Now if you have a noisy gain stage in the pre-amp it can help reduce the noise - for me no noise is a bit better than minor degredation by the addition of a second attenuator.
I've had a Grounded Grid before, with 101 db efficient speakers. The volume knob was at about 9 o'clock. With 87 db efficient speakers, is 1 o'clock reasonable? Seems like it might be ...
> My amp(Decware Torii 3) and preamp
> (Artemis LA-1) both have a volume
> control. Do I want the pre up as much
> as possible and then phase in the amp?

I think the correct answer is: whichever way sounds better. But if I were in your situation I would try some different approaches:

1. Try it with no preamp at all. Source direct to the

2. Decware with volume control at full open.

3. Decware set to a level such that if the volume control of the preamp were full open that it would be the loudest level you would ever consider listening at. This would give you full range of control with the preamp, assuming you actually want to control volume from the preamp.