Bob Carver LLC Black Beauty Review

If any of you GON members are interested in Bob Carver's new mono-block tube amps take a look at my review that was just posted on hometheaterreview.com. It's in the recent short review section on the front page. It was a very interesting experience to compare the Carver's performance with my Pass Labs XA-60.5's.
teajay
all of the current tube amps do not hold a candle to the king: the conrad johnson mv 125. this was a classic.

no amp that i have heard, and i have heard many, come close to the classic tube sound of the mv 125.

i have been to many ces and other shows.

the only company that is of some interest to me is wavelength..

i would consider most tube amps, closer to solid state. i would not buy current audio research, vtl or conrad johnson.
Mrtennis, while I applaud your enthusiasm for MV125, you do realize that is your opinion of what a tube amp should sound like. Others will have entirely different view. I know the classic CJ sound, very lush and seductive but colored compared to most contemporary tube amps. I enjoy that type of sound as well, but not all the time.
Shame on BC, trying to make better sounding gear more affordable for the masses back in the day.

I think he learned his lesson. Most of his newer stuff seems more akin to what high end audio buffs expect.
hi dracule1:

i agree with your comments.

i have heard the mv 125 driving many speakers, without ever any fatigue. and yes, it is colored, and an acquired taste.

it just seems to me, from what i have heard, that most of the tube amps in production sound more like solid state than tubes. even the current conrad johnson lacks bloom and lushness.

i use a vtl deluxe 120, which is not a lush sounding amp, but at least, it is inoffensive.