I have a buzz

Howdy, I recently began to put together a better two channel system. I had a Cambridge Audio 840a that I really liked. Then I moved up a bit to the Musical Fidelity A5.5. And here's the thing. Neither produced any buzz. Well... I had heard the Cambridge 840w and 840e and loved them and really wanted separates. When I had a chance to get them I did. So I hook them up and the amp is producing a very slight buzz through my speakers (I alternate between a pair of modded Klipsch Chorus and Klipsch RF-83.) I disconnected the preamp and the buzz was still there. I tried reconnecting everything and the buzz is still there. I even turned all of the lights in the area off and on and it didn't make a difference. And by the way, I don't have cable. So I have two questions:

1) What might I do to fix this? (Could a power conditioner make a difference?)
2) Can it harm my gear?

Thanks for the help.
chipbyrd
Your power line may have a ground fault.
Try to block loose ground wire with cheater plug or ask electrician to take care of the problem.
I disconnected the preamp and the buzz was still there.
With a 200 watt power amp I would think you would need to have shorting plugs plugged into the inputs for a true test. You need to get a pair of shorting plugs and try the test again.

If the buzz is gone or greatly reduced, shorting plugs installed, my next question would be are the ICs you are using between the preamp and amp shielded or non shielded?

(I alternate between a pair of modded Klipsch Chorus and Klipsch RF-83.)

What is the efficiency rating of the speakers? The speakers and amp may not be suited for one another.

With the amp isolated from the preamp I see no way a ground loop could exist..... But you can rule that out by installing a ground cheater between the plug and the wall receptacle.
Also want to add you described the sound as a buzz, not a hum.

Is the amp new or used?
Make sure you put a piece of tape on the ground tab of the cheater plug so it will not come in contact with the grounded 6/32 trim screw that holds on the receptacle cover plate.