Need understanding on amperage

Forgive me for being a little slow but I'm confused on how to understand the amp ratings:

My circuit to my gear is 20 amps
My conditioner is good to 45 amps (Furman Elite PF15)
My amp is rated at 60 amps per channel (Parasound A21)
and my speakers suck amperage like its going out of style. (Thiel cs2.4's)

So how is it my amp can run 60 amps if my wall outlet is only rated at 20? Is this reserve amps held by the transformer?
And if my power conditioner is rated at 45 amps then am I shortchanging myself by running my amp through it?
And If all this is true then why aren't I throwing the circuit breaker all the time when the system is cranked up?

Again, I'm slow, so use small words so I can understand ;)
last_lemming
LL

Your 20 amp circuit supplies continuous current to the receptacle. Your amp can output 60 amps "peak", very briefly. The duration of the "peak" 60 amps depends upon how much electricity is stored in the amplifiers power supply capacitors. Transformers unlike capacitors, do not store electricity.

The specs on your power conditioner state: Input - 15 Amp capacity required and Output - 11-15 Amps RMS (maximum, all outlets combined - continuous). The 45 amp rating is the peak current rating for the conditioner output which, just like your amplifier, depends on how much electricity is stored in its capacitors.

Adding the power conditioner will make peak current available to all of the components plugged into the conditioner. However, since your circuit is 20 amps and the conditioner input is rated for 15 amps, you are not getting the benefit of your 20 amp circuit.

You don't trip your 20 amp circuit breaker because the input of the both the amplifier and conditioner are designed to limit their current demand to 15 amps.

Greg
Think of each part as a tank of water.
Now the spigot/hose opening from the tank when fully open is the 'amperage'
So your wall can only dump out at full opening 100% of the time 20 amperes (this is all the time 100% without melting or starting a fire. The wall part would get warm, so would the cord from the wall, but it would not start on fire.

Then the power conditioner. Now it can if it needs to, suck at 100% of the time 20 amps from the wall. and give out it's rated 45 amperes for a certain time frame (before it pukes out) if you read the fine print in your power conditioner manual, it will tell you that the 45 amperes are only peak.. that is a short duration. So it can cope with the 20 amps coming in, as it stores some and can spit out up to 45 for moments it is needed. Your power conditioner cannot give out 45 amps 100% of the time or it would melt. The output spigot of your power conditioner is huge, but is limited by a time constraint. It can do it, but not 100% all the time. It needs moments to recharge. and it gets them with any sort of musical material. You are NOT running an arc welder.. The way most condtioners add amperage is by the design of the transformer in them, and or a big added capacitor (way complicated electrical stuff, just accept it works)

Then, finally the amplifiers. They have many CAPACITORS inside. Capacitors store energy. they can store HUGE amounts of energy. And another big transformer.
So when a demand comes in music like a big bass drum wack, the instantaneous power output can be your giant 60 amperes of current. Your amps can do that some of the time. the bigger the power supply capacitors in the amps, the longer they can dish it out. but it is not for very long. They need a little break to suck up the energy back into the caps, and your power conditioner helps them with those giant whacks by being able to (for short bursts) dump 45 amperes into the power supply capacitors of your amplifiers.

Hope this helps.

The values are 100% from the wall all the time.

Then the power conditioner is 20 amps all the time, but up to 45 amps some of the time.

Then your amps are 60 amps for very short periods of time
The TIME is really important. so those things that 'save up' the electricity, have the ability to recharge and give it out again when it is demanded.

And all you electical wizards please do not crush my little story with mountains of thoery... LOL