Any one tried the Yamamoto A06 with AD1 tube?

I have been searching to find the sonic characteristics of the AD1 tube when compared to DHT like the 45, 2A3 etc.

I find the 45 mesh plate by EML to be the finest tube I know. I quite like the 2a3 EML mesh too, but find it doesn't have the beauty or musicality of the 45 mesh. Although it has more authority. So I wondered if being so linear whether the AD1 with its 4w was a super 45?

I haven't found any reviews of the yammy A06 (mk1/mk2 or mk3). Is it that rare?
chadeffect
I didn't intend to suggest that the AD1 is a life-less tube, it's just different from the 45. I have been trying a series of amps, the linear A by Tom Evams was very promising. At this point, I'm steering towards a 45 or a 300B type SET amp. What are your issues with the 300B?

Thanks,

Cr
Crubio,
I `d take all opinions about 300b tube amplifiers with a sizable grain of salt(including mine).Here`s why, there`re so many different 300b amps with various design objectives, circuits,quality of parts,power supply.transformers etc. You could hear 6 brands of 300b amps and they would sound 'very' different from one another.

Secondly there`s much variation among individual 300b tubes, from average to good to superb.
Mix various amplifiers and vary the particular tube and it`s near impossible to generalized the so called 300b sound.

Now factor in the variable of speaker,other components and finally listener preference, well you get the point. There is a hugh difference in sound quality between say the EH orJJ compared to an EML,EAT,Sophia Royal Princess and the Takatsuki 300b tubes. They are a world apart and yet even in the premium group choice will depend on amp and system make up.Iuse the Takatsuki-TA300b and it`s simply sublime in my SET amplifier.

All of the low power DHT tubes can sound fabulous in the proper application.I`ve heard great and not so great examples of 45,2A3 and 300b amps,it just all depends...
I wish you the best in your search.
Hi guys,

A couple of things here.

Madranker I think Paul is trying to ask if that "magic" of the 45 is present in the AD1?

In my experience 300b, & 2a3 tubes have a drier quality to them. There will always be one that breaks the rule, but i have yet to hear it.

The 45 has a beauty(especially the EML mesh 45) & seductive purity which I have yet to find in other tube amps. I suspect this is what Paul wants, but with a little more grunt. Don't we all?

300b & 2a3 tubes have a larger image & more presence but loose the delicacy IMHO.

Tom Evans Linear A is a wonderful amp, but the only thing it lacks is that bit of soul. Aside from that the Linear A is hard to beat all round. it sounds like ICe power but with texture. Shame it's so ugly, unlike the wonderful to behold A06...ahhhhh
Ok Ok .... This is what I think you guys are looking for.. As I said I bought my Yamamoto A-06-3 from Crubio. Cesar gave up too soon on the amp because he didn't know how and where to fix it. I love the A-06-3 alot and I do mean alot !!! I also made a slight modification to filament voltage. The World and especially Japan and Europe know that 4.0 VDC is the most favorable for that sweet, clear, fast, sound that makes you say "O WOW" AD1 uses 4.0 - - 45 tube which is 2.5 VDC on its filament is my favorite with the proper speakers. I own a matched set of EML AD 1's - I also own a pair of Tungsram AD 1's and a pair of NOS very low like 10 hours on them Telefunken AD 1's (I doubt anyone in America owns a matched pair of telefunkens)... A bunch of different AZ 4 rectifier tubes and 3 pair of the C3M drivers and a bunch of different speakers. So what works for me is not going to work for everyone. Mostly cause people don't have the cash invest in alot of tubes. ( I'm a collector ). Bottom line if you have high efficiency speakers in the 100 db range your going to love 45 amps and have enough horsepower when you step on the gas. If you have less efficient speakers go with the A-06-3 (twice the output - Just as Sweet) if you can afford it and get it. I hear they are limited and no longer in production. O BTW,, 300B amps will drive the dash speaker from a 69 Rambler but they will never sound like the A-06-3 Yami.....How's that for making ya Think... Cheers everyone...
This is Crubio's opening paragraph from his ad on Audiogon. I copyed and pasted it right off Crubio's listing : QUOTE " I'm the first owner of the jewel of an amp, amazing 4 watts of power. One of the most dimensional and engaging amps I have ever heard. Lives up and excels at the Yamamoto sound perfect for high sensitivity speakers (mine are 106 db) " END OF QUOTE..... Crubio - Sang that tune when he was SELLING... Now you guys can talk about AD 1 tubes...
Kind Regards