Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Hi Baranyi

I think some people have ordered the umbilical cord but have not received them yet. Hence not many can give you their views. I ordered and paid for the cables in Feb; in mid Mar wrote to Brad. Then about 20 days ago, Brad (aka Vtech2000) informed that my cables would ship the following week. Till now, I've not received the cable. Talk about broken promises and poor customer service.

Better wait out until Brad fulfills his orders.
I did recieve my cable from Brad. I ordered it on January 30th, and recieved last week. Fit, finish, and build quality are very good. I cannot comment yet on whether or not it makes a difference as the pin configuration and size of the connectors on the RAL umbilical do not fit my Supratek.

I would advise that anyone who orders one be very specific as to how many pin sockets you have AND the barrel size on your stock umbilical. Brad told me that he has seen 6, 7, and 8 pin sockets. Mine only has 5 and a smaller barrel size than what ships with the RAL. I am currently waiting for Brad to try and source the one I need.

If someone wants one - and has an umbilical with 7 pins - email me off list and perhaps we can work something out.
Pablovila,

Looks like you have a very nice system there. I will be very interested in hearing your impressions of the Malbecs.
BE VERY CAREFUL WITH NON-STOCK umbilicals for Supratek preamps! One wrong connection by the cable maunfacturer and POOF!! its the end of your preamp. There are specific voltages being fed from each pin the power supply to the preamp section - get it wrong and you risk damage. At the very least you should send the stock umbilical to the cable guy so that he can circuit-test and make the cable exactly to the original.

Mick uses silver coated copper wire in the umbilicals, the same as found inside the preamps. I would have thought this would have been a good synergistic match, so why interfere? Just my 2 cents worth...

Regards,

Steve.
I agree Stevem1960,

I think messing with the umbilical cord is just asking for trouble. If these preamps are as good as we all think they are, why do we feel we have to find ways to improve them.