Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
I think the bass is pretty good, detail is there but could be a little tighter. In that case you would just use the 6H30 part of the pre-amp circuit for the ultimate response.
Clipsal, I own the Sauv. and it is very quiet how is the Cab compared? Mick mentioned the Cab was noisy compared to the Sauv. so it made me reluctant in getting one. Are you bi-amping with the pre? What does the rest of your system consist of.
Pjwd, information I received from Mick was that the bass of the 101D does not compare to the Cortese (Sauv. line stage that I have)the later being better. Also to get the best out of the Cab is to use it via bi-amping and that the 110D part of the pre should be used for the mid and highs and is superior to what the Cortese offers. You should use the 6H30 part of the pre as Clipsal has mentioned for the bass. Mick mentioned that this is equal to the Cortese bass. My concern was that Mick said the Cab is noisy compared to the Cortese (Sauv. line stage)

Any one have the Single not Dual Cab and compared to the Cortese? (Sauv. line)

Pjwd what improvement did you notice by using the tube dampers? What does your system consist of?
Just tried a pair of Winged C Svetlana 6L6Gc's in place of my usual (long in the tooth)Sylvania 6L6GA's (Syrah).
These test fine(should be since they are new) and I broke them in using my other Supratek.
These are without doubt the most horrible tubes I've ever heard/owned. They might sound ok in an overdriven guitar amp but these destroyed the sound of my system.
Teeth on edge from a Syrah and Audiopax 88s is a new one on me. Avoid like the plague (ime /imo of course).

I use Herbies dampers more as a belt and braces and I love it when people touch the Shun Mooks(?) and pearl coolers on the Pax. What are those "Oh ya bastard that's hot!"
Inquisitive, tactile (and some times not to bright:-) )
race, us Scots

Also tried a nice pair of Sylvania GTA's in place of my usual Sylvania GTB's. Can't burn these in as my other soopy doesnt use 6SN7's. Is it usual for these to be a tad bright till they burn in?

I'm only fooling so I can get a nice a sound when the current tubes go but some of these changes are frightening - almost as frightening as going from the supplied EH to a nos set of GEC KT 88s in the Pax :-)

Footnote - none of these changes were as soul destroying as removing FIM & Aurios ( to lend a mate) and replacing with cones/zindak footers. If this is close coupling, please give me bearing isolation every time.
(and just in case , I made all these changes seperately and with a good listening session of a few days in between changes).

Happy listening and start saving for Micks pet monster amps with the transmission valves - free sunglasses supplied with every pair. Shame he went totally banzai as 'wee' 211s are only £18 each here.
Dev, the backgrounds became blacker and the instruments more clearly articulated - A similar effect that you seem to get with any vibration isolation or damping tweak.
I should have tried them one by one but whacked them all on at once - I suspect improvment is incremental for each stage and it all cost less than NOS tubes anyway - all the gear sits on ball bearing type footers ( spikes do not work as well) and lead shot filled hardwood plinths so there is already a decent amount of damping
Gear is:
CDP CEC TL0X
DAC CEC DX51
Pre Cortese
Amp Halcro Dm38
Spkr DIY WMTMW transmission line
Cheers