Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Have you tried using a power cord that does not have a ground? I have a friend that has a Supratek preamp. He was about to send his to Kevin Kovi because he had tried everything to get rid of the hum he had. He happened to plug a power cord in that did not have a ground on it. The hum went away and the preamp was dead quiet!
It might be the case with some amps but I would try to have preamp grounded and try to find the real problem then playing "Russian Roulette". I know it is flustrating......been there not to long ago myself.
I wish you luck with this annoying problem.
I have a Supratek Sauvignon. I rolled the original tubes to a pair of Tung Sol GTB's circa mid 1950's and the improvement was substantial. The music came alive right across the spectrum. I recently got a hold of a pair of NOS NIB Mullard ECC33's (manuf 1963). These tubes aren't easy to come by and they don't come cheap. To be honest I'm a little disappointed in the sound. I'm aware that the ECC33 isn't an exact substitute for a 6sn7, but everything I've read about the Mullards suggests that they should be fantastic. The sound is a little "slower" and although detailed, it lacks the punch of the Tung Sols. Has anyone else had a similar experience?