Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
I have a Supratek Sauvignon. I rolled the original tubes to a pair of Tung Sol GTB's circa mid 1950's and the improvement was substantial. The music came alive right across the spectrum. I recently got a hold of a pair of NOS NIB Mullard ECC33's (manuf 1963). These tubes aren't easy to come by and they don't come cheap. To be honest I'm a little disappointed in the sound. I'm aware that the ECC33 isn't an exact substitute for a 6sn7, but everything I've read about the Mullards suggests that they should be fantastic. The sound is a little "slower" and although detailed, it lacks the punch of the Tung Sols. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Abe, You been busy!

Interesting path your going down.

Markvetnz,
Could be the original tubes were getting alittle tired and with a fresh pair your pre came back to life.

Yep the ECC-33s in another design other then Supratek would certainly raise your eyebrows.
I also tried them in my Chenin afew years ago,HO hum.

I had one really quiet pair of TungSol black glass oval plates which I used for a short while then sold, couldnt resist the going price.

Tried Western Electric 350Bs and metal base EL-34s, better kept for an investment also tried some early 1960s CCAs in the phonostage, save your money if your thinking of buying tubes like these.

If you bought tubes like these years ago and still have them sitting in a drawer or in a closet.
Put them in a safe....

No problem, Zachzdb I had an imbalance problem which Kevin fixed quickly. My Sauvignon is dead quiet and works perfectly, with rolled tubes it sounds wonderful.
Good Luck, Kevin's work is very good, if there is a problem he will fix it as good as new.

Regards,
Joe