If you had to choose: tube amp or tube pre-amp?

So I've been on the market for a tube pre-amp, and would also like to upgrade my amp as well but I was wondering?

Upgrade to a tube amp or tube pre first?

I'm using an old Sony V444ES running the pre-outs to a 2-channel B&K amp (reference 125.2). If more details on my other components (dac, Upsampler, etc.) or speakers will help, let me know and I would be happy to list.
hockey4496
It depends on your speaker. If your speaker is compatible with tubes I`d go tube power amplifier if your goal is tube sonic attributes. The tube preamp won`t have the same influence and the SS amp presence will be known(ok if that`s what you want).
Regards,
Impossible to say without knowing what speakers are being used. Depending mainly on how their impedance varies as a function of frequency, some speakers will not sound right with one type of amp or the other.

It is also impossible to say without knowing whether the B&K amp or the preamp section of the Sony a/v receiver you are using is a greater limitation on the sound quality you are presently achieving. Not being familiar with either model, I can't address that question. And the answer may depend on the impedance characteristics of the speakers, and how difficult they are to drive.

As a general philosophical matter, though, if the speakers can work well with a tube amp I agree with the comments by Michael and Charles, and my vote would be tube amp, ss preamp. If you research past threads on this question, however, you will find that opinion is divided, and there is no consensus.

Regards,
-- Al
Thanks everyone, I am using Klipsch RP-5's for my front channels

Basically my typical music plays through these components :

MacBook or airport ---> Monarchy DIP Upsampler --xlr--> Emotiva XDA-1 DAC --xlr ---> B&K amp ---> RP-5's

The preamp built into the Emotiva gives the music a very thin, scratchy sound at higher volumes...Im not familiar with how to describe it in audiophile vernacular, but it sounds digital with no richness. So I was hoping throughing in a tube pre after the DAC will clear up that problem....anyone have an opinion on the Little Dot IV SE if I can't find an AES?
I meant to say in my last post that I run to the Sony from the DAC when I want to listen with the subwoofer playing, but I've found whether I go straight to the B&K and bypass the Sony, or not, I stll get the sharp sounding music the higher the volume goes.

I'm playing all flac music 24/96, and I have my speakers hooked up with quad 16ga wire, I'm not using the line -in for the sub.