If you had to choose: tube amp or tube pre-amp?

So I've been on the market for a tube pre-amp, and would also like to upgrade my amp as well but I was wondering?

Upgrade to a tube amp or tube pre first?

I'm using an old Sony V444ES running the pre-outs to a 2-channel B&K amp (reference 125.2). If more details on my other components (dac, Upsampler, etc.) or speakers will help, let me know and I would be happy to list.
hockey4496
Al,good advice, correct the root of the problem then address the lesser issues afterward.

Solid state amps won`t always result is better bass quality. It absolutely depends on the speaker design and parameters.Some speakers are meant to be used with tube amplifiers and will sound better with them(the converse is also true). It all depends on the specific objectives.
Regards,
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice.

Al, to follow up with your suggestion regarding the DAC. For a while I actually had it hooked up in the fashion you suggested (emotive to Sony, with the emotiva volume at max, and use Sony to control level) but the improvement is very minute. I figured the small change was attributed to bypassing Emotivas preamp for Sony's slightly better one.

With that being said, you don't necessarily think that if the Emotiva was running to a tube preamp instead of Sony's SS it would help reduce the sharpness of the music?
A good tube preamp would certainly be an improvement, but your original question was an either /or tube pre-power amp.
I would go with a tube preamp as the pre is the heart of the system and has a huge tonal influence on the system. I love tube amps, but don't like dealing with too many tubes in my total system. I opted for a hybrid amp which gets me closer to an all tube amp without the hassle of power tubes.

So tube pre and hybrid amp! This is a great combo....

If my speakers could run off of 8 SET watts, then I would have a tube amp for sure. Only one power tube per side needed. However when needing 100 watts or more, a hybrid can be a nice option.
You're right Charles, the topic started to deviate...but this been extremely helpful. So it sounds like I'll start with the tube pre over an amp!

The last thing I'll ask, when I select a pre-amp are there any factors I should look for to determine if it's going to match well with the B&K amp???