CAT SL1 vs Modwright LS 36.5

Hi all,

I am considering CAT SL1 without phono or Modwright LS 36.5 to pair with my PASS LAB X250.5 ... would like to know which amp would be better... Btw would Modwright LS 36.5 be better because of XLR connections...? Please share your experiences....
clarrie
Since nobody else responded, I'll give you my "opinion." Over a period of maybe 15 years, I owned the Cat Sig. Mk.1, Mk.2, Mk.3, Ultimate 1, and finally Ultimate 2. I guess I'm qualified to comment on the CAT!

For the money, a CAT is hard to beat. Even the phono stage is decent for the extra few bucks. It's big, open, transparent, extended, dynamic, detailed, and lots of air. I used them with Symphonic Line RG-1, RG-7, RG-4's(all SS) then CJ Premier 12's, VTL 250's, and finally Atma-Sphere MA-1's. All the CAT's worked flawlessly with every amp I mated them with. I never, ever had any problems, but did have many pleasant conversations with Ken Stevens who was always accessible and very friendly.

I still have the Atma-Sphere MA-1's which are now mated to their MP-1 w/phono. At almost 3 times the price of my last CAT, it's in a different league, but I still have fond memories of all those CAT's and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

As for Modwright, I know Dan casually from spending lots of time in his rooms at CES and RMAF. I've owned his Modwright/Sony 5400 for a couple years now and can finally listen to digital without getting bored, or worse yet, a headache. My buddy owns his Modwright/Oppo 95 and loves it.

I can't say for certain but if there's anything to the notion of a "house sound", I'll speculate that the Modwright LS 36.5 will be a bit warmer and fuller than the CAT, which to my ears and depending on source, could sometimes sound a bit leaner and cleaner than reality.

A couple final points, unless you're running really long interconnects(which the CAT can certainly handle), I wouldn't worry about XLR's vs RCA's. Also, if you go with a CAT, I wouldn't waste any time replacing the factory tubes with NOS; the Sovtek 6922 absolutely sucks.
Don't agree with Rfogel18 at all. The CAT is in another league to most all preamps out there. To bring it up several notches, tube rolling is what I found to really make it sing. IMHO, the Modwright isn't in the same league at all vs. the CAT. Add some NOS Mullards to the CAT and again IMHO, neither is the MP-1.
As they say, the CAT rules.
Daveyf, it sounds like you have not heard the MP-1, because if you did you may need to clean out your ears a little. The CAT preamp was a great preamp at the original asking price. The prices are now to high for that preamp. There are much better preamps and the MP-1 is one of the best and way better than the CAT. I don't have an ax to grind as I don't own the MP-1, but I heard it in direct comparison with the cat and the MP-1 is more refined, extended, and yes more organic. The CAT is very dynamic but has a much more forward sound stage. Yes the Cat sounds better with tube rolling, but so does any other preamp. I would also say that the MP-1 is quieter and also is balanced which is a plus.