Can You Get 1,000 WPC Out Of Regular Wall Socket?

I see the new Emotiva (100 lbs) and Boulder (450 lbs!!) 1,000 WPC monoblocs require a dedicated 20 amp circuit per monobloc.

I recently read where someone had his Krell 750mcx monobocs changed from 110 to 220 because he said they sounded better.

Well, the D-sonic digital amp weighs 20 pounds and is rated at 1500 WPC. Can an amp pull 1500 WPC from a regular household wall socket?
128x128mitch4t
Yes, a class D amp can, a Class A amp is another story when it comes to current draw!
Can an amp pull 1500 WPC from a regular household wall socket?
Not for very long, without tripping the breaker. However, it may not have to.

1500 watts per channel is a total output of 3000 watts. Assuming the amp is 95% efficient, which may be optimistic, it would draw 3000/0.95 = 3158 watts from the wall outlet to provide 1500 WPC. 3158 watts at 120 volts is 26.3 amps.

That would trip the breaker if drawn for a significant amount of time. Also, if it is drawn just occasionally, on musical peaks that are brief enough to not trip the breaker, it would probably cause the line voltage at those instants to drop by a few volts or so, depending on the length of the wiring between the outlet and the breaker panel. That voltage fluctuation might have audible consequences in some or many systems.

On the other hand, depending on speaker efficiency, listening volume, the dynamic range of the music you are listening to, and other variables, you may not actually utilize a lot of the power capability of the amp, which would reduce the amount of current that it draws from the wall outlet correspondingly.

Regards,
-- Al
My 500 w/ch BEl Canto ref1000m Class D amps are on a regular home circuit. The only time they trip the breaker is if I power them both up at the same time. That does it every time! They have never tripped the breaker while playing, and I go pretty loud sometimes. Prior Class A/B amps I've had would trip the breaker on occasion while playing loud.

The switching nature and resulting efficiency of Class D amps is the key I believe. They are much easier for a normal person to deal with than giant heavy Class A or Class a/b type amps. That's progress....
Who the he*l would want or need that much power and for what purpose??? Is the OP thinking about using his 1000 wpc amps to heat the house or light up outdoor X-mass lights. I gotta believe that even with inefficient speakers, with that much power, even on transients, pumping out of those amps, the OP would blow his ears.