Preamp for headphone use

First of all, I am a newbie who knows just enough to get myself in trouble.

I recently purchased a set of Sennheiser HD 800 headphones. The wife doesn't care for "loud" music, so for now I want to pursue the audiophile hobby via cans. I wish to drastically upgrade my gear here, and am looking for suggestions.

Does anyone have any strong recommendations regarding a preamp with a superior headphone output section? I must admit I have a soft spot for McIntosh, and have contemplated their C2300 preamp. I like the "tube sound" and for whatever reason I find their gear attractive. I'm open to any suggestions though. Almost 100% of my listening to music is via vinyl records.

I'm currently using an Integra line of Onkyo as my "reciever", I wish to upgrade from Old Milwaukee. Thanks in advice for any thoughts!
brad34695
TYVM all for the replies. I really appreciate it. What I am learning is that a headphone amp will be in order no matter which preamp I were to buy. My OP was hoping that a high-end preamp is available to circumvent that need. Thanks to you all, I have learned otherwise. So thanks again, and I will check out the "Schiit's". :)

(I love that name!)
You may want to consider the Melos SHA-1 pre-amp which is considered an excellent hp amp and also of course can be used as a pre-amp.
If you can locate one, a Melos Sha-1 or Sha-Gold might suffice. I had a Sha-Gold and it's the best preamp/headphone amp I have heard.
If you like tubed amps that sound very organic and have lifelike music aspects, I would highly recommend the HE-6 EL34 headphone amp from Audio Note Kits in Canada. That is the best headphone amp I have ever heard, plus it will also serve as a pre-amp.

Call Brian to talk about it. It is a kit (easy to assemble) but has serious SQ on offer for three times the money it is selling at.

http://www.ankaudiokits.com/he6headamp.html
The Atma-Sphere MP-1 line stage can drive headphones like that directly from its main outputs.