Preamp for headphone use

First of all, I am a newbie who knows just enough to get myself in trouble.

I recently purchased a set of Sennheiser HD 800 headphones. The wife doesn't care for "loud" music, so for now I want to pursue the audiophile hobby via cans. I wish to drastically upgrade my gear here, and am looking for suggestions.

Does anyone have any strong recommendations regarding a preamp with a superior headphone output section? I must admit I have a soft spot for McIntosh, and have contemplated their C2300 preamp. I like the "tube sound" and for whatever reason I find their gear attractive. I'm open to any suggestions though. Almost 100% of my listening to music is via vinyl records.

I'm currently using an Integra line of Onkyo as my "reciever", I wish to upgrade from Old Milwaukee. Thanks in advice for any thoughts!
brad34695
Schiit amps sound fine with headphones, but the preamp section was a later add-on (not an original feature)

Do consider the Burson Soloist (headamp/preamp) the headphone output is very powerful, it drives even the HE-6
I sent McIntosh an e-mail regarding the output stage of the C2300, as I really have an interest in that preamp. Below is their response.

I have decided (for now) to audition it at my local Mac dealer, with my HD 800s with me to make a better determination of things.......

Brad,

300 ohms is kind of the sweet spot of the headphone amp in C2300 so it will work fine with the HD800s as far as sound quality and balance. If you listen loudly then you may want to use a more powerful dedicated headphone amplifier and I would recommend the latest from Sennhesier.

Thank you,
Ron Cornelius
McIntosh
I suggest having a look at the Decware CSP2+.

It is a SE OTL preamp with a fantastic headphone output for high impedance cans.
Uses many commonly available tubes such as 1x 5Y3GT rectifier and 3x 6DJ8 tubes.

It was also rated very highly by Skylab of Head-fi.