What should I upgrade first amp or preamp?

I need your help. I have OPPO BDP-105 connected to PASS Labs XP-10 and XA-30.5 driving 89 dB at 4 Ohm Snell C7. Looking to upgrade my system and planning to spend $ 3000-4000. I live in the apartment building and unfortunately can't listen to music very loud (no more than 58-62 on the XP-10 display).
What would you suggest to do, upgrade preamp to XP-20 first or amp to two XA-60.5 or to XA-100.5 and why. Upgrading an amp is more problematic due to the space constrains.
What will I gain and what should be the difference in sound in each of those cases?
Thank you.
karapuz
Max average volume (never got louder yet, but may try this weekend) is 80-85 dB with 95-101 dB in peaks. Most of the time the meter stays around 12 or moves for a second to 1 pm during peaks. Never stays over 12 for more than two sec.
Those numbers are somewhat higher than I was anticipating for relatively low level listening in apartment circumstances. I believe that movement of the meter signifies that the amp is switching from class A bias to class AB, which would occur less often or not at all with one of the higher powered XA amps.

So if you sense that the main need for improvement is the ability of the system to handle those peaks as cleanly as possible, going to one of the higher powered XA amps may help. On the other hand, if you want to try to improve sonics at times other than when those peaks occur (which I suspect is likely to be more beneficial), based on the comments by JL35 and others I would consider upgrading to the XP-20.

Regards,
-- Al
Karapuz,

I think you should try to define what it is that you are trying to achieve. I also think that those listening levels are higher than what I was expecting from your earlier description. Once you are clear on what you want improved, I second the suggestion that you contact a Pass dealer or Mark at Reno HiFi for a clear explanation about what you would gain from either the XP10 to 20 upgrade or the XA30.5 to 100.5 upgrade. Given that your needles are moving and your listening levels are not that low, I would lean toward the XA100.5.

I used to own the 100.5 and upgraded to the 160.5 because I was noticing the same movement in the meter and felt the amps could not quite drive my new speakers adequately. Mark advised me and his descriptions were spot on. Dynamics, impact, sense of ease, natural musical flow and inner detail all improved. I was really quite surprised.

On the other hand, the XP-20 is a fantastic preamp. And that upgrade should cost a lot less.
arapuz couple of more insights...

Upgrade to Analysis Plus new black oval 9 or silver oval 2 improving detail and bass $550 - $900.

Living in apartment, I would seriously look into Power Conditioner. Condition the AC may significantly lower the background noise which is probably on the same line as that contractor grade refrigerator $2000

Lastly, the right power cord may provide more detail and clarity depending on overall designs for both amp, preamp and source. And you can borrow the cables from the Cable Co cable library to help make your decision.