Seeking alternatives to Oppo

I am considering going with a single box player in place of my current transport/DAC. My friend loaned me his Oppo BDP 83, and after a day of listening, (I'm still evaluating it) I think that the BDP 105 might be a good alternative for my system. The thing is, I like all of the extra features, but I am most concerned with conventional CD replay, and I would like opinions any members may have about players in the same price range ($1,200.00)that you feel are as good or better than the Oppo. I was very impressed by the dynamics of the lesser BDP 83, and dynamics are one of my priorities.
Thanks
128x128roxy54
Oppo 103 at $499 is a killer bargain and has great sound as a stand alone ced player.
I am wondering now...I have an entry level Audio Note DAC that I have been using for years, and there is no doubt that my friends BDP 83, which I am borrowing, has greater depth and detail, even more impact. Still, when I am listening to the Oppo, which I am sure is not as good as the newer models, I am missing a certain organic flow that I get with the Audio Note.
I am wondering if I should just keep the transport, and get an Audio Note that is higher up the chain, like the Dac 1, or maybe an Eastern Electric Minimax Dac. I don't like things overly syrupy or rose tinted, but I don't want to get the Oppo only to find out that it is more HI-FI than musical in a natural way. Any more opinions?
If I were you, I would definitely get an Oppo 105 and try it. You have 30 days to return it, at least if you buy it directly from Oppo. I think you will be very surprised how good it is, especially if you put a few hundred hours on it before coming to a conclusion.
I have an Oppo 103, albeit a modded one with all the bells and whistles such as a bunch if WA Chips, cryo'd power cord, blah blah blah. Trust me, syrupy and rose-colored and Hi Fi it ain't.
Geoffkait,
I wasn't saying that the Oppo was syrupy or rose tinted, I was saying that I wasn't looking for that sort of presentation. I mentioned it because it seems from things I have read over the years that some people have that view of Audio Note gear.
I did some more listening to the Oppo BDP 83 today, and I think I'm might give the 105 a spin.