New tv?

Well it looks like the not so old Samsung 50 inch plasma is on its last legs. It has a blue vertical band running down the left side and repair folks are telling me it is likely the display panel which cost as much or more than a new TV to repair. So what are you folks liking these days as the best TV for home theater? This is a set up with an oppo 103 and NAD integrated amp and Sonus fabar toy towers. We are looking for a 55 inch set and are wondering if plasma is still the best way to go? As always thanks for any suggestions.
audiowoman
Definately the Panasonic Plasma unless you need a thinner display or a less reflective surface or will be using it extensively for gaming.

FWIW, a few years ago Panasonic bought all of Pioneer's Kuro tech and have integrated much of it into their plasma's.
This is an FYI, not a recommendation as I've never seen one, but the new 4k ultra high def sets are falling in price. A brand called Seiki has a 50" model available for app $1100.

Marty
Thanks folks, that's helpful. Kinda interested in a Panasonic this time around maybe. Just wanted to be sure that LED wasn't better at this point. Wonder how long I have before the panel in the Samsung gets really bad?
Fun week, plasma troubles, dishwasher is making noise, and washer started leaking........there goes the budget for those Avalon Ideas........
IMO, LED's still can not rival plasma tech concerning black level, which of course means truer colors. Also, although LED's can output more brightness they can not out do a plasma in dynamic contrast which is any fully black image next to a fully white image on the screen. Also I've seen demonstrations that most LED's will only do 1080p on a still image. If the image is in motion, as in a slow pan, they will drop down to 1080i.
I still use plasmas, and like them the best. I've got 2 LG's. A 60, and a 42. Both get a ton of use, and still work perfectly. Both are about 6-7 years old. The 60 was their top model when I bought it, and was about 6k retail then. You can get a better set now for 1/4 that or less. I still love the Sony. Have had them too. I'm just still hooked on plasma. I highly recommend the LG. Never used the Panasonic, but read good things about them.